WebSite Information > Article Discussions

OS/2 - ArcaOS 64Bits Kernel Discussion

<< < (6/6)

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 13, 2020, 06:05:46 pm ---...It's old and could use a couple of updates, measurement of my fastest drives bus speed is negative so a variable needs to be bigger and it considers too fast of a seek time like the ram disk or SSD to be a disk error but it measures reading track 0 and the last track directly.
There is also a NT binary in the package.

--- End quote ---

Matching my experience, although the RAMDISK here fails to get most of the metrics:

--- Code: ---Dhrystone 2.1 C benchmark routines (C) 1988 Reinhold P. Weicker
Dhrystone benchmark for this CPU: 2185936 runs/sec

Hard disk 1: 255 sides, 636 cylinders, 63 sectors per track = 4988 MB
Drive cache/bus transfer rate: 26754 k/sec
Data transfer rate on cylinder 0   : Disk read error.
Data transfer rate on cylinder 634 : Disk read error.
CPU usage by full speed disk transfers: Disk read error.
Average latency time: 0.0 ms
Average data access time: Disk read error.
Multithreaded disk I/O (4 threads): Disk read error.
-470888 k/sec, 29% CPU usage

--- End code ---

...and numbers for something like my SSD show the obvious overflow errors:

--- Code: ---Hard disk 2: 255 sides, 30401 cylinders, 63 sectors per track = 238472 MB
Drive cache/bus transfer rate: 115349 k/sec
Data transfer rate on cylinder 0   : -84103 k/sec
Data transfer rate on cylinder 30399: -133819 k/sec
CPU usage by full speed disk transfers: 24%
Average latency time: 0.1 ms
Average data access time: Disk read error.
Multithreaded disk I/O (4 threads): 115870 k/sec, 22% CPU usage

--- End code ---

I did compile that source back in April of this year b/c I was trying to look at fixing those little things, and while that did give me a successfull build, more work needed to be devoted to that task...aha...Holidays are here...maybe now???  ;D

David Kiley:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 11, 2020, 03:21:37 pm ---Since the OS/2 kernel is not open source, I always thought that some alternative for OS/2 kernel evolution issue will be to replace completely the OS/2 kernel for a different 64bit kernel and interpret the OS/2 personality with the IBM binaries over it. People will complain that the kernel is the OS, but I'm starting to believe that OS/2 is more about the experience of the desktop and being able to run the OS/2 applications software that we like and use.

--- End quote ---

Long term this probably will be the only choice if there is to be a 64bit OS/2. Being closed source there is always going to be roadblocks.
If someone took an open source kernel, recreating the WPS desktop experience, and then there could be some kind of "classic mode" like they did with OS X that would allow you to run legacy OS/2 apps. Moving to some open source base OS would also mean resources could be spent where they matter, instead of recreating the wheel such as with web browsers etc.

That being said ArcaOS and other developers have done a fantastic job keeping os/2 alive.

JTCaptKirk:
Hi.  I seem to remember some scuttlebutt about there being an early work by IBM to  replace the OS/2 kernel with a version of the MACH kernel.  At the time they were working on something called the Workplace OS. It was also said by IBM that this kernel would have an "OS/2 Personality"  and perhaps the ability to have others too.  So with this is mind is there any
possibility that using the MACH kernel as a starting point could a 64 bit OS/2 be realized instead of starting from scratch  ?? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version