OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

eSata

<< < (3/8) > >>

Per E. Johannessen:
Well, that's a surprise to me. I never thought that we would achieve USB 3 transfer speeds that the hardware manufacturers lists as max speeds but only 20% of what they should be able do is very disappointing.
Slow, or not, I will eventually need an external USB 3 drive and will also continue trying to find eSATA solution.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Per E. Johannessen on December 12, 2020, 08:57:46 pm ---Well, that's a surprise to me. I never thought that we would achieve USB 3 transfer speeds that the hardware manufacturers lists as max speeds but only 20% of what they should be able do is very disappointing.
Slow, or not, I will eventually need an external USB 3 drive and will also continue trying to find eSATA solution.
--- End quote ---

It is disappointing, but not surprising. USB has always had the problem where manufacturers don't follow the rules, and build product that doesn't even come close to what the specs say they should be. When they say it is "USB3", people just assume that they will run at USB 3 design speed. It isn't so. I have had very good results with my (Vantec) NexStar  enclosures (I usually use Seagate drives in them), but the cheap USB sticks are mostly garbage (not unusable, but some are pretty close). Even the more expensive sticks are not built to run at design speed. There are a few sticks that do run near design speed, but they are very expensive, and I find it difficult to justify even thinking about them. Watch the specs closely, or you can waste your money. If they don't tell you the specs, it is probably not as good as they lead you to believe. "Expensive" doesn't always mean faster, and/or more reliable.

FWIW, my newest enclosure is a Vantec NexStar 6G device. That one is USB (3) only. The one that has e-Sata, and USB (3) is a Vantec NexStar 6G too. They are both for 3.5 inch disks. There are similar models for 2.5 inch disks, and they would be more suitable for SSD drives. It seems that e-Sata has never become popular, probably because it is more difficult to handle than USB drives. E-Sata does have the advantage that they are built closer to the e-Sata design specs, so they are more likely to work as advertised.

Andi B.:

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---    About 5-10 times slower.

--- End quote ---
This is almost guaranteed to be a bad USB connector. 5 -10 times slower indicates that you are connecting to the HS controller, not the SS controller. There is a tool, supplied to the Arca Noae testers, that tells you exactly how a device is connected. It seems to be essential to be able to adjust the connectors so they actually work.
--- End quote ---

No, definitely no. I clearly said in that thread that it is the same system, the same connector, the same disk and reproducible. Probably I don't even disconnected the cable/disk between rebooting/testing. And I posted the output of the tool.

We had more than enough of all that unrelated general talking about USB defects in that thread. (I don't need them I know USB is crap. But it's a fact it only behaves so slow and bad with our OS, not with others. No that's not bashing, that's telling the truth.) And David explained in that thread that we should not think that we can get any better values. It is what it is and it will not be faster in the future. I can't believe it and still hope he didn't read carefully enough what I wrote and my findings. Maybe David got lost in that thread cause you Doug used that thread for general, unrelated USB bashing and bubbling about connectors and .... Maybe sometimes it's better to stay on topic instead discuss hardly related off topic things. Sorry that I by myself didn't follow this advice in this thread. Promise that I'll do better in future.

Per E. Johannessen:
Roberto,  I meant to ask for the brand/model of the disk cabinet/enclosure, sorry for being unclear.
I see now that you don't use any external enclosure at all so I'll try to get such a cable that you mentioned.

roberto:
The disk I use is a 8455mb thosiba, MQ01ABD100, 2 1/2 "
But like I told you before, that is not important. As the ones I use are from old computers, they are ready to use in os2, like jfs, plug and play. If not, you will have to prepare it as when you install the system.
Saludos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version