OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

eSata

<< < (5/8) > >>

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Per E. Johannessen on December 15, 2020, 08:03:59 pm ---I noticed that they mention eSATAp so they get power over eSATA and my system does only have eSATA port.

--- End quote ---
I read that if no power is delivered over eSATA(p) then it works like eSATA. Power has to come over another channel then - external power supply or preferable USB. But again, I didn't test until now. Maybe the user manual of such device has something to say about that 'not so unusual' situation.

Per E. Johannessen:
Just FYI,

I ended up with these:
 1 x USB 3.0 / eSATA Dual-Bay Trayless 3.5” SATA III Hard Drive
https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/s352bu33rer
and for using SSD's with it
2 x 2.5” to 3.5” SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure
https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/25sat35hdd

eSATA works fine but I have some issues with USB3 on this system.
(I've created at ticket about that AOS)

Martin Iturbide:
Thanks Per.

I know I may be annoying sometimes, but I made these two wiki pages:
- StarTech USB 3.0 / eSATA Dual-Bay Trayless 3.5” SATA III Hard Drive
- StarTech 2.5” to 3.5” SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure

Let me know if you want to add more about it, tricks, ArcaOS tweaks, rating, hardwareID, anything :)

Noob question, how eSATA works on ArcaOS? With the OS2AHCI driver?

Regards

Per E. Johannessen:
Hi Martin,

Not annoying at all, I appreciate your work at os2world.com :)

Had no need install any drivers, the external SATA uses same driver as the internal SATA disks.

Had to create a volume when connected via USB as Airboot refused to boot when an empty/unpartioned disk was connected through eSATA.
After creating the volume and rebooting, using the eSATA cable, the drive behaves like any other internal SATA disk.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Pete on December 15, 2020, 02:29:18 am ---Sorry, I see that Icy Box dropped eSATA support from that enclosure at some point - I have exactly that model but *with* eSATA capability - see attached photo - IcyBox.png - of part of box clearly showing USB3.0/eSATA capability.

--- End quote ---

Hi Pete

I had also added your device on the wiki: Icy Box IB-351StU3S-B 3.5-inch HDD Enclosure USB 3.0 - Black

Let me know if you want to add something.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version