OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

Drilling Billy - Problem running the exe

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dave Yeo:
Well, it never trapped here, just not initializing the correct video mode. My Bios supports some pretty high resolutions in VESA mode which usually aren't supported.
The gdb debugger worked pretty well with EMX, if rebuilding with current GCC, and the right flags (-Zomf -g) gcc builds can be debugged in the IBM debuggers. Whether the source will build with current GCC hasn't been tested but most EMX stuff with minor makefile editing does build.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

vesatest.exe was not working for me.

I set the OS/2 Full screen session "VESADLL=vesa_all.dll" on environment as suggested. vesatest is now working showing that full list with numbers.

os2billy.exe says:

--- Quote ---Drilling Billy demo V1.12 Apr 14 1997...
Unable to set videomode nr 65535.

--- End quote ---
Just like it was reported.

Thanks for you help. This hacking is out of my knowledge, let hope something can be worked out.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Might want to reboot with 256 colours and test.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 19, 2020, 07:36:27 pm ---Might want to reboot with 256 colours and test.

--- End quote ---

I tried it as you told me. Set the colors to 256, rebooted, the desktop looked 256 awful :) , run OS/2 command line full screen with "VESADLL=vesa_all.dll".

OS2Billy gave me the same error:

--- Quote ---Drilling Billy demo V1.12 Apr 14 1997...
--- End quote ---

Regards

Lars:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 19, 2020, 05:15:10 pm ---Well, it never trapped here, just not initializing the correct video mode. My Bios supports some pretty high resolutions in VESA mode which usually aren't supported.
The gdb debugger worked pretty well with EMX, if rebuilding with current GCC, and the right flags (-Zomf -g) gcc builds can be debugged in the IBM debuggers. Whether the source will build with current GCC hasn't been tested but most EMX stuff with minor makefile editing does build.

--- End quote ---

Hi Dave,
are you sure that the VAC debugger can source code debug objects produced by EMX/GCC ?
As far as I understand, the -Zomf only creates object output in OMF format ("Microsoft") instead of ELF(?) ("Unix") which helps in using a different linker (for example the VAC linker or the WATCOM linker) instead of the EMX provided linker. But I think gcc still creates debug info that is incompatible with the CODEVIEW or HLL debug info that the VAC debugger can understand and interpret.

Or are you actually source code debugging Seamonkey and the like ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version