Author Topic: again on Uniaud  (Read 17193 times)

mauro

• View Profile
again on Uniaud
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:31:07 am »
Hi all, nice to meet you again after some silence period  :-X .
OS2 Warp 4.52 usage (VirtualBox guest machine), I've tried to solve the no-audio issue in Youtube video played in Firefox 45.9.  Have been suggested here in another thread to install Uniaud drivers, and PMUnimix after that.
So, downloaded  ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/Uniaud-20200506.exe  and execute the file, Warpin dialogue windows begins with "no Uniaud Installation found" to proceed for a fresh one, confirm everything and at the end the installation is given as successful, advicing to reboot for running the modified config.sys. As rebooted I then run a PMUniMix.EXE but it does nothing, it only shows its property panel.  Running it under OS2 Command, the answer is "Uniaud.exe file not found".
Therefore I went to look for the uniaud files path stated in the Warpin installation panel, given as deployed in MMOS2.  But checking that folder, none of the Uniaud files is there.  In fact if I try to re-run Uniaud-20200506.exe , Warpin tells "no Uniaud Installation found" and goes again for a fresh installation not changing the situation after it .
Do you see a reason for this behaviour ?
My target is only to obtain audio from Youtube videos, as the default audio system works well in video play both with VLC and SMplayer.
Thank you in advance for your attention

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: again on Uniaud
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 09:54:31 am »
Try adding "SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" without quotes to config.sys, reboot and test.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:34:23 am »
Try adding "SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" without quotes to config.sys, reboot and test.

Hi Dave, no changes with this line added in config.sys.
I then tried to run the Uniaud installation on a separate Warp 4.53 guest machine I have, and found the Uniaud files deployed in MMOS2/INSTALL/uniaud/ directory created.
But everything else is as before, no change observed in audio system, no success in running PMUniMix.EXE.
Strange.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 01:28:05 pm »
Hi mauro

Sounds like you need to run the mmos2 installer, \os2\minstal.exe, to install uniaud as the sound driver.

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 04:30:27 pm »
Hi mauro

Sounds like you need to run the mmos2 installer, \os2\minstal.exe, to install uniaud as the sound driver.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, in fact I missed this step so I followed your suggestion, but after rebooting other oddities came to make the Uniaud + PM Mixer installallation faulty.
I think the best explaination of what I did and what happened can be viewed in this mp4 screenrecording (link here below, can also download the video file to improve window size/definition) , just to avoid long/complicated/incomplete descriptions

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1krIkCVsvvoPo5r564SdLD5ktPnxDI_Kl/view?usp=sharing

thank you
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:40:51 pm by mauro »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 06:43:03 pm »
Hi Mauro

I have some questions:
1) Did you get any other sound on the OS/2 Warp 4.52 VM, like playing wav files? Is it working?
2) Can you put the /V on the UNIAUD32 and UNIAUD16 on the config.sys, to see if gives you any information on boot .

My experience with Warp 4.52 on VirtualBox had been more using the SoundBlaster driver. I would have to try with UniAud.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:48:30 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 09:44:42 am »
Hi Martin and all, have to say that meantime realized myself to go on MMOS2 panel to see if I could find something new, and infact I saw the panel of Uniaud Wav device and the Uniaud Midi device to be enabled , and I enabled it so to exclude the previous Wav and Midi device. At that point I could not ear any wav system sound but the sound of video mp4 and audio mp3 were ok by VLC and smplayer (as in the previous standard situation with no Uniaud Installation).
Then I changed audio device configuration in VirtualBox sound system switching from Soundblaster16 into ICH AC97 and at that point wav sound returned available, at a louder volume than with Sound Blaster 16 setting.  Still unable to install PM Uniaud Mixer
This was interesting, but at the end does not solve my need to get sound from video play in Firefox.
Thank you
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:50:31 am by mauro »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 03:28:17 pm »
The easiest you could do is install my USB sound drivers. Even if you are not interested in USB sound, it comes with some additional updates, amongst them a tool to properly select the default WAV device. It will install itself into the Multimedia object and does more than the stuff you have already tried out (and as you already noticed does not work).

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 04:35:35 pm »
I agree with Lars and make a shameless plug for his drivers they work with a USB audio device very well when you can't get the Uniaud drivers to work. Solved my problem on my desktop.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 05:03:20 pm »
Can one use Lar's multimedia drivers along with the ArcaOS drivers?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 09:19:22 pm »
I would not mix those drivers but if you have a mind to try. Let us know.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 11:28:34 am »
Can one use Lar's multimedia drivers along with the ArcaOS drivers?

If you ONLY use my USB audio drivers (USBAUDIO.SYS, USBAUD2.SYS), it should work. As far as I know that is also what AN delivers with their latest ArcaOS version.
David stated that he did not see a point in making the USB audio drivers into 32-bit drivers and that's why they are still 16-bit and still use the old 16-bit interface (to USBD.SYS).

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 07:42:29 pm »
The easiest you could do is install my USB sound drivers. Even if you are not interested in USB sound, it comes with some additional updates, amongst them a tool to properly select the default WAV device. It will install itself into the Multimedia object and does more than the stuff you have already tried out (and as you already noticed does not work).
Ok thank you Lars, I'll try those ones
Downloaded the latest usbdrv236.zip, the archive contains (in /mmos2 folder) usbaudio.zip and usbwav.zip, not usbaud2.zip , is that correct?

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »
Yes, usbaudio.zip contains BOTH drivers.
Usbwav.zip contains yet additional Multimedia extensions that allow to play WAV variants like alaw,mulaw,adpcm and others.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 08:03:05 pm »
Just to add, you have to unzip these packages into temp dirs, change to these and run "minstall /*".