Author Topic: Freedb shut down  (Read 4108 times)

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
Freedb shut down
« on: December 25, 2020, 09:27:11 am »
Hi there, I just wanted to share some information. Maybe old fashioned but I keep buying music on CDs. Occasionally I copy tracks or complete Cds to my harddrive, mainly using either RSJ -CD View (part of RSJ CD Writer) and AVxCat (great!!). Both programs used to query track titles from freedb.org which was shut down in June. There is an alternative which is gnudb.org. I have attached a picture showing my settings for RSJ  CD View. perhaps it may be helpful for others. I even tried leech.mp3 which I ususally do not use. Setting gnudb.gnudb.org 8880 in the config file for leechmp3 works. I then checked PM123 (player). One can configure the CDDA Play plugin by adding the server cddbp://gnudb.gnudb.org:8880. So when inserting a CD and using PM123 to play the CD the  CD and the titles are queried from gnudb.org .
I am still struggling with AvxCat. There is no setting where one could define the server to use, so I suppose remy ( the author) either uses a dll or there is a script that has to be adjusted

Greetings
Holger
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 01:08:58 pm by Holger Schuett »

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Freedb shut down
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 12:50:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing this info. Occasionally I use RSJ too. I tried your settings without success. Then I found I used the wrong port 8080 instead 8880. Now it works. Thanks again.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 01:10:54 pm »
Hi Andi, glad it helped. Just corrected my first posting concerning leechmp3 and pm123. I made the same mistake when typing. The port is allways 8880

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 07:21:11 pm »
Hi there, I just wanted to share some information. Maybe old fashioned but I keep buying music on CDs. Occasionally I copy tracks or complete Cds to my harddrive, mainly using either RSJ -CD View (part of RSJ CD Writer) and AVxCat (great!!). Both programs used to query track titles from freedb.org which was shut down in June. There is an alternative which is gnudb.org. I have attached a picture showing my settings for RSJ  CD View. perhaps it may be helpful for others. I even tried leech.mp3 which I ususally do not use. Setting gnudb.gnudb.org 8880 in the config file for leechmp3 works. I then checked PM123 (player). One can configure the CDDA Play plugin by adding the server cddbp://gnudb.gnudb.org:8880. So when inserting a CD and using PM123 to play the CD the  CD and the titles are queried from gnudb.org .
I am still struggling with AvxCat. There is no setting where one could define the server to use, so I suppose remy ( the author) either uses a dll or there is a script that has to be adjusted

Greetings
Holger

Hi !

I'm working on AVxCAT v2 and old freedb link has changed into it since freedb no more working.
Currently, I have done major changes for the audio parts I would like have (included IceCast links !)
I'm currently working on video cam recording (with sound) but not finished yet and I have to update/add some planned video process options...

If you are interested to give a try to my current V2 alpha work, I can provide you with a link (through private message)
Regards
Rémy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:25:09 am by Remy »

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 12:53:39 am »
Hi Remy,

sent you an email few minutes ago, I hope I still have the correct address

Holger

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 01:22:59 am »
Hi Remy,

sent you an email few minutes ago, I hope I still have the correct address

Holger

Email replied with link.
(read new requirements rxutilex.dll and curl to enable all functions as written into top of the included text file with some details about all changes done into the current alpha build)

Regards
Rémy