Author Topic: Does Arcaos support browsing phones?  (Read 4834 times)

David Kiley

• View Profile
Does Arcaos support browsing phones?
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:42:20 am »
Is there anyway to mount a phone to pull pictures off it.  I'm guessing not since even mounting fat32 requires special formatting with dfsee... But just checking since I've been out of the os/2 game for a while.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Does Arcaos support browsing phones?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 03:36:29 am »
There's Samba. Some file managers have WiFi sharing which gives a web interface. Likewise with FTP. Or, sneaker net, either by ejecting the SD card (which was originally partitioned from OS/2 or plugging in a USB stick. I recently purchased a micro USB to USB A adapter that works well for plugging in a USB stick. Previously I paid $5 for the X-Plore file manager which I've been happy with (worked fine for free with no ads but a few things like WiFi sharing not enabled)
There's also https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/graphics/camera153.zip which allows pulling the photos straight off the phone in most cases using PTP and which you might want to try first.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:00:51 am »
There's Samba. Some file managers have WiFi sharing which gives a web interface. Likewise with FTP. Or, sneaker net, either by ejecting the SD card (which was originally partitioned from OS/2 or plugging in a USB stick. I recently purchased a micro USB to USB A adapter that works well for plugging in a USB stick. Previously I paid $5 for the X-Plore file manager which I've been happy with (worked fine for free with no ads but a few things like WiFi sharing not enabled)
There's also https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/graphics/camera153.zip which allows pulling the photos straight off the phone in most cases using PTP and which you might want to try first.

I always connected my android cellphone to my OS/2 machine via FTP without a problem, being able to browse its internals. For photos only, cameraderie is perfect AFAIK.

Mentore

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 11:29:53 am »
Thanks, I didn't think about accessing my phone via FTP and I see there are plenty of apps that do just that  ;D  Appreciate it!

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 11:34:10 am »
To a certain extent it depends on what version on android your phone has.  Version 10 and above requires some digging into the system to allow USB connection ( there are good descriptions of what to on the internet).  Once you can get connected copying files is fairly simple.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 03:56:57 pm »
I have an iPhone. I run the Apple iCoud suite on Firefox 45 under ArcaOS. in Photos, I can browse and download photos (upload, too.)

I can also attach the iPhone to the OS/2 computer with USB. The phone mounts as a Camera. Cameraderie works just fine. I can download photos from the phone and delete the ones I don't need from phone memory.

I run SAMBA server on OS/2. The iPhone can browse the OS/2 machine and most apps can load and save files to the OS/2 machine.

I run VNC server on OS/2. I can run the OS/2 desktop on the iPhone (or iPad, which has a better screen for the OS/2 desktop.)
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com