Author Topic: LarsenCommander - new test version  (Read 15409 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: LarsenCommander - new test version
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2024, 10:29:43 pm »
I would like to have something that saves me some time grabbing by default font size (as XWP shows as default), but I understand that it is not easy to implement for each component described in the Font settings of lcmd.

It shouldn't be particularly hard: there are 5 entries under 'os2.ini->PM_SystemFonts'  [see below] and you map them to your categories. For example, 'PM_SystemFonts->Menus' maps to lcmd's 'AppWin.MenuBar' and its other menu settings.

DefaultFont: System Proportional - if this entry is missing/empty, assume 10 point SysPro

IconText:  WarpSans - this is mislabelled, it should be "Folder text" since it also is used for Details view
WindowText: WarpSans - standard dialog text

Menus: WarpSans Bold - both menubars and popups
WindowTitles:  WarpSans Bold

The key to using defaults while still allowing customization is *never* save the default value. That way you don't get stuck with a value that _used_ to be the default but isn't any longer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 10:37:00 pm by Rich Walsh »

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:18:14 am »
there are 5 entries [...] and you map them to your categories.

FWIW... you're not limited to just the 3 default fonts. Rather, you can use these entries as guidelines for setting the correct size of your preferred typeface. For example, if lcmd uses 'Helv' somewhere, you can get the entry for the category (say, "menu") but only pay attention to the size (use 'atol(...)). If 'Helv' has that point size, use it. Otherwise, go up or down at point _or_ substitute WarpSans (non-bold).

Do all this during init and save the results so you don't have to duplicate a lot of code. (Note: the default values in 'os2.ini' will never change during a session - they're only updated during shutdown - so there's no need to check for  new values.)

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:56:30 pm »
I understand the problem for people with high resolution screen usually found in modern Notebooks. But I think it should be possible with current version to set all controls to the needed bigger fonts. This setting should survive restarts. I'm I right Martin?

If yes I think it's not high priority to invest much time in this and so there's nothing which I can do in near future. F.i. the (rare) crashes and some leak in currently unknown system resources are more important IMO.

I just wait on Martins response and if there is no real show stopper (f.i. some controls can't be changed to usable fonts) I'll create a ticket with all the valuable infos from Rich. Maybe some time someone finds the time to make a more elegant solution for that.