OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

ecs2.2 beta refresh

(1/16) > >>

guzzi:
Just downloaded the beta and saw that it is a new one. Looks like the drivers have been updated like in the demo.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: guzzi on December 14, 2013, 06:19:06 pm ---Just downloaded the beta and saw that it is a new one. Looks like the drivers have been updated like in the demo.
--- End quote ---

Works for me!

Well, I installed it on my Lenovo T510. I haven't done a lot of testing, but the install seems to be what I wanted, with no trouble.

It took a while to get the second beta, but Well done.

It seems that there are still a couple of minor problems that have not been fixed, but I have seen nothing, yet, that will cause trouble.

Sigurd Fastenrath:
Just downloaded and tested it with my X230t.

The Installation went well once I changed the boot order from <first ahci, second danis> to <first danis, second ahci>.
I was not able to Format the Installation drive with JFS, HPFS went OK, - I guess it was due to my testing with cloning before.

So, in short:

PRO:

- Installation went well
- very fast booting
- AHCI and ACPI seems to work well
- Power Management etc. works well
- Split View and PNG Desktop (ecs.ru) are not set as Default anymore  :)
- USB seems to work well

CONS:
- still no Support for WLAN later 2007
- DOS16 and WINOS2 do not work due to Limitation of Panorama
- UNIAUD still not able to handle two Sound Adapters (HDMI and AC97) so still no Sound
- 512MB RAM Problem on modern core-i processors still there

But, yes, this is a really well Beta II!

I heard rumours David is working on WLAN Multimac for Intel chipsets, and I guess the 512 MB RAM Problem could be solved once Mensys is able to merge the enhancements of the OS/4 Loader with the ecs one.

It is really worth a try, finally. Well done

Roderick Klein:
Please note the readme:

eComStation 2.2 beta III will follow before the final release.
This interim release is done to test that most issue's with USB, AHCI
and disk geometry problems are resolved.

This release does not address all bugs open currently in the eCS
bugtracker.

So another eCS beta III will follow and soon as a possible. But the device drivers prevented so many people from even installing eCS 2.2 beta I on many systems.
This beta should address most of the issue's like USB and Realtek and OS2SAHCI problems. We should at least say mayor progress.

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---This release does not address all bugs open currently in the eCS
bugtracker.
--- End quote ---

True, and I will add a new one, shortly. The Printer installer, and manager (Printman.exe), are using a non-English language on my systems. I have:
SET LANG=en_CA
but the language used appears to be Dutch (just guessing). The problem seems to be that printmen.msg is not in English.

I have now got it installed to my Lenovo ThinkPad L530. It still has the expected problems (512 meg memory limit, and sound problems), but it seems to be working okay otherwise.

I also installed it to my ancient test system (800 mhz Athlon on a Gigabyte motherboard). That one is a bit tricky because it doesn't have a DVD drive, and it won't boot from the USB DVD drive that I have. The trick is to burn a bootable CD with the BOOTIMGS directory on it. Then, boot the CD, and select use your own settings to add the USB support for the CD drive, and check off "install from CD" (perhaps that stuff should say "DVD", or "CD/DVD"). I also added another directory, that contains my eCS install keys, for convenience. Now, I boot from the CD, and it installs from the USB DVD drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version