Author Topic: ecs2.2 beta refresh  (Read 80384 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: ecs2.2 beta refresh
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 05:07:44 am »
Okay, now the disk integrity test is happy, but miniLVM complains about a corrupt partition table, and it will allow no actions.

Please open a bugtracker ticket on this if you haven't already.

MiniLVM and the disk integrity checker are always supposed to be in agreement about whether a disk is acceptable.  If that is not happening, then the integrity checker is presumably failing to detect some critical issue and that absolutely needs to be fixed.

BTW please don't conflate MiniLVM with LVM.  It is LVM that reports errors with the partition table.  MiniLVM is nothing more than a dumb GUI that reports what LVM tells it.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 06:12:16 pm »
MiniLVM and the disk integrity checker are always supposed to be in agreement about whether a disk is acceptable.  If that is not happening, then the integrity checker is presumably failing to detect some critical issue and that absolutely needs to be fixed.

I am more inclined to think that LVM (I say "miniLVM" so you know what I was using) has a problem that needs to be fixed. Using a sub set of DFSEE to do the partitioning is probably the easy answer to the problem.

I would, but I am not sure what I am going to report. Presumably, Mensys has tested installs along side of Windows 7 PRO (with a recovery partition), on a 500 GB disk. I would be amazed if they haven't seen the problem. Of course they missed a lot of bad stuff in beta I.

In fact, "Manage Volumes" still reports a "corrupt partition table". It fails to identify the Lenovo recovery partition (at the end of the disk), and calls it "free space". I expect that that was the original problem. Windows, DFSEE, and Linux (PCLinuxOS now), don't have any problem with it. MiniLVM will allow me to change drive letters, and volume names. It will also install Air Boot. It just refuses to do anything that involves the partition table, since it thinks it is corrupt.

Can you tell me what the name of the integrity checker program is, so I can try it without having to go through the whole thing again?

Chenbiao

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 09:15:54 pm »
Its not written with that much words, but you could download the Wacom Bamboo driver with http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/download/Wacom_Bamboo00.zip .  In the manual are a few hints what to do with a new not automatic recognized system. You could try to do just that, may be it works.

Regards,
Joop

Thanks. Following your hint I tried the Wacom solution but it doesn't work neither. In the WinXP I found the Touchpad of Dell notebook is connected internally via PS/2 port but the Wacom drive is for usb connection. I think that's the reason.

Br.
CHEN.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 01:52:09 am »
Hi All

Sorry to say I'm not very impressed with this beta partly due to lack of hardware support and partly because the installer gives you the option of deselecting items that it then installs anyway.

I installed to a Dell Latitude E5500 laptop. The installation was made more difficult than necessary because the touchpad was not working - nothing wrong with the hardware, just eCS does not seem to be able to drive a touchpad that is basically a PS/2 connected mouse. No, I did not have a mouse handy to use so it was a tiring Keyboard Only Advanced Install...

Maybe I should try a different mouse driver - IBM rather than AMouse maybe?

I'm not sure if the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx 1Gb wired nic has a driver - I did not have a cable to try with.

I would prefer to get the Dell 1510 Wireless-N nic (made by Broadcom) working and would appreciate some pointers on attempting to get this working with Genmac.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 07:54:22 am »
I would prefer to get the Dell 1510 Wireless-N nic (made by Broadcom) working and would appreciate some pointers on attempting to get this working with Genmac.

Have a look at: ftp://genmac@ftp.os2voice.org/ (use the word "unsupported", lower case, and no quotes, as a password, if asked) for some tips (in the READMEs). There are two Broadcom wireless NICs, packaged in GenMU_TEST-0-2-4.wpi. You will need to supply the PCI ID of your device (should be something like "14E4:4353"), to know if it is one of them. If not, I can package the windows driver, if you supply it (as instructed), but that doesn't mean that it will work. Genmac does have limits, and most newer drivers just won't work.

Note, that the difference between GenMU-0-2-1.wpi and GenMU_TEST-0-2-4.wpi, is that somebody has reported that the drivers in GenMU-0-2-1.wpi have worked (doesn't mean they will work for you). The drivers in GenMU_TEST-0-2-4.wpi have been packaged, and less than two users (usually zero users) have reported that they don't work. That means that somebody should try them, and see if they can be made to work. Some of them are packaged with alternate windows drivers.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 06:28:57 pm »

I would, but I am not sure what I am going to report. Presumably, Mensys has tested installs along side of Windows 7 PRO (with a recovery partition), on a 500 GB disk. I would be amazed if they haven't seen the problem. Of course they missed a lot of bad stuff in beta I.

Perhaps related to this issue:
http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=3460

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »
Perhaps related to this issue:
http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=3460

Surely related, but I don't think it is exactly the same. I need to find the time to document what I did, and what the results are.

DFSEE is still happy. Win7, and PCLinuxOS, do not have any problems.  ECS 2.2, and 2.1, don't have any problems, other than LVM apparently thinks there is something wrong, and refuses to do anything with the partition table (which is no longer necessary, since DFSEE built a usable configuration).

I haven't confirmed it, yet, but I think the problem has something to do with the Lenovo (windows) recovery partition extending past what LVM thinks should be the last cylinder on the disk. MiniLVM displays the recovery partition as free space. I suspect that if I use DFSEE, to shrink the recovery partition by the smallest possible amount, that the problem would be solved, but I am not so sure that Win7 would accept that.

LVM is obviously way out of date, when it comes to managing partition tables. It needs to be updated, or replaced. DFSEE (or part of it) is the obvious answer to the problem, at this time.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 05:08:27 pm »

Never assume that your problem is self-evident or easy for the developer to reproduce.  We need to see the logs and work files generated by the disk utility (especially the *.rdf files which it places in %TMP%) in order to even begin to guess at what the problem is.

Can you tell me what the name of the integrity checker program is, so I can try it without having to go through the whole thing again?

DISKUTIL.EXE but it's not installed to the hard disk.  It's on the eCS install disc (IIRC in \ecs\install) - however you will also need s:\ecs\lang in your DPATH and s:\ecs\dll on your LIBPATH (replace S with your DVD drive letter) in order to run it.  Obviously this is set up automatically if you boot from the install disc. You can run the disk checker directly from the Maintenance Console, BTW.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:38 pm »
Never assume that your problem is self-evident or easy for the developer to reproduce.

I think it is pretty easy to reproduce, as long as the initial setup has the problem.

I need to find some time to work with this. I need to do another restore to "factory default", and then do another eCS install, tracking what happens along the way.

I did find the reason why LVM is all worried about the partition table. The Lenovo recovery partition extended past what LVM seems to think is the last valid cylinder on the disk. When I used DFSEE to shrink that partition, by the smallest possible amount, the LVM problem went away. Now, however, Win7 (PRO, if that matters) refuses to use that partition. It is clean, and it can be read. Win7 simply refuses to use it (it probably assumes that it has been corrupted). Not an ideal solution, and it is deadly if the user failed to create the recovery media (DVDs).

I am pretty sure, that the initial "problem" that was fixed by the Integrity checker, during install, was that the Extended partition didn't start on a cylinder boundary. That seems to have been fixed properly.

As I said, LVM needs to be fixed, or replaced. DFSEE does the partitioning, without complaining about a non-issue, and as long as I leave the recovery partition alone, Win7 seems to be happy with it. Only LVM has a problem.

If eCS was to change to using DFSEE to do the partitioning (which seems to be the obvious answer), I suppose that miniLVM would also need to suppress the complaints, when a user wants to do other things with (mini)LVM.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 09:13:18 pm »
Hi Doug

I am looking for a driver for 14E4:432B which is not in either of the packages you suggested.

I could happily supply you with the drivers - if I can figure out which files they are from the 50+ files in the Win2K through to Win Vista driver pack.

I would not be able to supply any Registry entries though as I'm running Win7 64 bit and it seems the drivers are different so I'd guess the Registry entries are as well.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:43 am »
I am looking for a driver for 14E4:432B which is not in either of the packages you suggested.

Not surprising.

I got your message to the GENMAC mail list. Let's take this offline. It really doesn't belong here.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »
Works pretty well - installation ran without any issue on x200t with 256Gb SSD. Did not work with previous beta.

kreso

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 02:59:34 pm »
To add my 0.002 cents. Installation does not work on Lenovo ThinkPad L540. TP is with UEFI BIOS, i5 CPU, 4 G of memory, etc. At the moment configuration is not important.
Installation fail way before HW detection. So here are the steps:
Boot from DVD OK
Enter my own value OK (same with express instal)
press ENTER ti save data OK
CRASH- Installer does not start and TP freezes completely. Only power down help.
Any idea ????

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:29 pm »
Hi Kresimir

Do you think it is the UEFI BIOS? Can you access this Thinkpad BIOS and check if there is something like "Legacy Boot Mode"?

I found out that some UEFI Intel Mainboards has that feature, with that you can boot eCS.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Intel_Desktop_Board_DB85FL#BIOS_Settings

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

kreso

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 11:48:17 pm »
Hi Martin,
Yes, I can access TP BIOS. Everything what can be set to legacy mod is set to "legacy mode. AHCI - Compatible. All extra features for the CPU disabled.
There is an massage but it is way too fast that one can read what it says. After that massage TP hang hard. Nothing works except power button. I even let it sitting for long time just to verify if something is working in background.
Weird