Author Topic: ecs2.2 beta refresh  (Read 80376 times)

kreso

Re: ecs2.2 beta refresh
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »
Yes, all of the points mentioned are valid. But, this stop(hang, trap or what ever) happend during the load of the drivers (os2lvm.dmd in this case). Disk integrity check did not even start. But any way more to try. Report about progress will follow.
Thanks

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:39 pm »
disable ACPI driver, disable USB drivers
(edit config.sys ->
REM USBEHCD.SYS
REM ACPI.PSD

Boot from DVD, chkdsk e: /f

Try boot again

nyao

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »
Hi Kresimir.
I have a same trouble.
I tried eComStation Demo CD.
But,It was stopped with a message as "Installed OS2LVM.DMD".

Lenovo ThikPad E440 (Windows7,Corei3-4000M,4GB Memory,500GB HD)

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 07:57:10 pm »
E440 => Modern laptop with UEFI.
So, try activate Legacy OS, disable UEFI.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
eCS2.2 Demo CD
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:44 am »
E440 => Modern laptop with UEFI.
So, try activate Legacy OS, disable UEFI.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,194.0.html
The other thread where I found sites that one could do the changing of the bios so one can boot from the DVD drive.

http://www.canbike.ca/information-technology/2013/03/12/asus-uefi-boot-from-cd-dvd-x55u.html

http://www.top-password.com/blog/set-windows-8-pc-to-boot-with-legacy-bios-mode-instead-of-uefi-mode/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp
I was able to use this one to be able to boot from the DVD to try the eCS 2.2 demo CD. It worked quite well on my Asus X55U.
BigGoofyGuy

nyao

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 08:06:22 am »
Thank you all.
But,this stoped.

Btw,I found this tips.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT076615

kreso

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 04:44:59 pm »
So I'm not the only one.
I did not found valid setting to go beyond OS2LVM.DMD. I tried every possible option in BIOS and follow all posted links but NO GO.
INSTALLED OS2LVM.DMD is last driver before hard hang(only power-off helps).
I even completely recreate a 1TB disk geometry with DSFEE to no veil.
May be, just my be I found a culprit of the problem - INTERNALL SSD drive - 16GB LSS-16L6G.
I clean the drive with DSFEE but when I try to create a partition, despite DSFEE report successful creation, nothing happen. Drive is still in unallocated status.
And there is no setting in bios to disable that drive except in BOOT menu.
I do not want to disassemble everything to remove that drive. It is not visible or accessible from standard drive & memory cover.
Any other idea   

kreso

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 02:55:54 pm »
Still nothing. Is there anybody with lenovo tp l540 with ssd built in who successfully installed eCs 2.2 ???

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 04:59:14 am »
Still nothing. Is there anybody with lenovo tp l540 with ssd built in who successfully installed eCs 2.2 ???

I haven't go that configuration, but I will make some guesses, that might help.

If I am correct, the SSD is just a mini card, and not a full SSD drive. I don't know if it occupies the first disk position, or if the real hard disk occupies the first disk position. I suspect that the SSD comes first.

My suggestions:

Don't try to install eCS on the SSD (at least for now). You may need to use either LVM, or DFSEE, to put the LVM information on it, but leave the drive letter set to NONE, if you do. You also need to shrink the windows partition on the real drive (I am not sure how windows handles that), to make room for the eCS volumes. Use windows to do that. I suspect that you will need to use DFSEE to create the new volumes, to avoid the problem where LVM will see an invalid partition table, and refuse to do anything. After that, a normal install should work (but there are no guarantees). Adding AirBoot (the new boot manager), could be a bit tricky. I am not sure where that will get put, it may be in the MBR on the SSD drive, or it might be in the MBR of the hard drive.

Please ask questions, if you need to, but more configuration information would help (what it comes with, and what you are trying to accomplish).

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 11:15:11 am »

I had a similar problem with model 510.
I finally found an option, "Wipe out HDD drive" somewhere in installer, and it helped.

kreso

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »
Sorry for late reply. I will try to make it clear. TP l540 came with Win 7 pre-installed. Configuration is standard except that LSS SSD. I suppose that image tu upgrade to win 8 was on that disk. All other components are standard for this kind of machine: i5CPU, 4 GB memory, Intel graphic, DVD, 1TB HD (new, installed by me. same behaviour with smaller HD).
SSD is second disk.
1TB was partitioned with DFSEE. So there is no reason for OS2LVM.DMD to complain.

So here are the steps:
1.Booted from installation CD   OK
2. Pre-installation menus present and adjusted according my wishes     OK
3. F10 ->save changes->reboot OK
4. Start installer-> hard hang on OS2LVM.dmd->only power off worked to reboot laptop

That is the place where it stops the installation. Installation did not continue to graphical installation desktop so no installation volume/partition
visible.
My understanding is that that is still config.sys loading before switching to normal installation desktop.

Installation was attempted with all possible BIOS settings as well with default setting from installer on two different HD's (500 GB & 1TB) with
same outcome->hard hang on OS2LVM.DMD file.

I am out of ideas what can be wrong and how to continue. And yes CD was burned several times just to make sure that is burned OK(very low
speed->x2)

Any ideas??

Thanks   

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2014, 10:56:05 pm »
Finally, I found an opportunity to complete a new mid-tower build with a MSi FM2-A75MA-P33 motherboard with an AMD A10 6800K CPU.  My first attempt to install eCS v2.1 crashed with a TRAP error, so then I tried the eCS 2.2 beta refresh.  The beta v2.2 installed lickity-split to a Kingston SSD and booted up so very fast!   Beta v2.2's version of the Realtek 8169 NIC drive is working with the on-board Realtek RTL8111E.  I couldn't be posting this comment otherwise. So far there is no hint of audio from the on-board Realtek ALC887.  We'll see about that.  So far so good.  Now I'll begin installing software.  Wish me luck.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2014, 01:43:20 am »
... So far there is no hint of audio from the on-board Realtek ALC887.  We'll see about that.  So far so good.  Now I'll begin installing software.  Wish me luck.

My board has a ALC887 and works with the stock uniaud driver from eCom 2.1 - try those !

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:43 pm »
Hi Joseph

You may want to check what the output of unimix -list > mixer.txt shows (unimix.exe is a command line mixer which you should find in \MMOS2).

You may find that Volume is set to 0; my laptop, Acer Travelmate 5320, needs to have a cmd file run at startup to (re)set the volume at every boot as it seems the hardware sets Volume to 0 on power off.

To change a setting you need to use the correct unimix command. Here is an explanation from an old unimix readme file that does not seem to get included with eCS:-

What is UNIMIX?
===============

UNIMIX is command line mixer, wich works with UNIAUD.
The goal of this mixer is allow user to control all of UNIAUD features for
given audio card/mixer.
The controls set for given card depends from audio hardware/features, so
common mixer cannot handle all of them. UNIMIX gives such possibilities to
user.
Currently UNIMIX is only command line mixer. PM version is under development

Usage
=====
With UNIMIX you can get list of controls (IDs, names, bound and current values)
To change value of control you have to know it's ID.
To determine full list of all controls you have to run:

unimix.exe -list

then you will got list of all controls. Each control looks like that:

Control ID: 1
Interface: virtual mixer device
Device(client): 0, subdevice (substream) 0
Name: [Wave Playback Volume]
Index: 0
Element type: integer type
Count of values: 2
Value:
 Bounds: min: 0, max: 100, step: 0
  value 1: 100
  value 2: 100

What we have?
Our control ID is 1
this control has 2 values from 0 to 100 and carrent values are 100

to set new value (to 50 for ex.) you have to run:

unimix.exe -id1 -cnt1 -val50
unimix.exe -id1 -cnt2 -val50

now, control will looks like:

Control ID: 1
Interface: virtual mixer device
Device(client): 0, subdevice (substream) 0
Name: [Wave Playback Volume]
Index: 0
Element type: integer type
Count of values: 2
Value:
 Bounds: min: 0, max: 100, step: 0
  value 1: 50
  value 2: 50

Hope the above helps.

Pete

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 10:26:40 pm »
Thanks Pete and Greg:

I'll try both of your suggestions later this coming week.  This past week has been busy.  Much of my little free time has been dedicated to updating my Win XP installs in advance of the 4/8/14 end of service date for XP.  I run a critical application in XP inside OS/2-eCS hosted virtual machines.  I must say that this application works very well host by eCS v2.2 beta on up-to-date equipment.  I  expected that this application would be unstable running in SMP mode on four cores of a CPU in this beta.  For that matter I'm enthusiastic about this  eCS beta so far.  I have had what would be an unexpected number of crashes accessing a SATA DVDRM and a USB floppy drive though.

Joe