OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Arca media options

(1/2) > >>

Rick Smith:
Greetings,

I want to install arca on an old Fuji laptop that I think would be a good little machine for it.  Here’s the rub, it only has a cd not dvd drive, and the bios will not see usb 1.1 ports at boot.. do I have any options that you might suggest? Can I make multiple CD’s somehow or the install media? Is there a NetBoot cd option and install from network? Maybe make a small partition on HD a make shift boot image?

Any suggestions appreciated

Regards,

Rick

Neil Waldhauer:
I'm in the ArcaOS test group, and I tried to make a CD for cases like this. I ran out of patience to do the job.

There are two ways to go:

1. swap in a hard disk from a working system and fix config.sys.

or

2. Make a boot CD (use bootable? or eCS 1.2?) and restore a backup to the hard drive. The advantage to doing it this way is you don't have to use a screwdriver.

Dave Yeo:
I haven't done it but others create a FAT partition and put the USB image there and install from it.
From readme2,

--- Quote --- 3.1.2  Using AOSBoot to create a bootable ArcaOS USB stick or partition

To build a bootable ArcaOS installation USB stick while booted to an existing
OS/2 or ArcaOS installation, you may utilize the AOSBoot script, located in the
\AOSBOOT directory of the ISO.

Detailed instructions for AOSBoot are included in the readme.txt file in the
\AOSBOOT directory of the ISO and available from the ArcaOS wiki (look for the
AltBoot sub-wiki).

--- End quote ---

So you would need an OS/2 install to start with.

Ian Manners:
I find Neils way faster, and less hair pulling but we all have our own ways of reaching the same end point sometimes. Depends on what you are use to, what you have access to, and how much time you have to try and learn :)

Connect a replacement HD to a desktop, boot from the DVD.
Select Management, Disk utilities, LVM and place a new partition(s) and volume(s) on the drive that is bootable, format said volume.
Then simply xcopy a working ArcaOS to your new drive
"xcopy c:\   e:\ /h/o/t/s/e/r/v"  <== where c: is your ArcoOS drive, and e: is your new HD [repeat if you use more than one partition].

Be aware that the boot drive needs to be 500G or smaller.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

Sorry to jump almost out of the subject here. On old computers, I found it very useful to replace the hard drive of it with a "SD to IDE" card. Since it is an old computer and sometimes it will not support HDD bigger than 8GB, or 32GB, replacing the HDD with a SD card is very practical to clone the OS to the SD from another computer.  Also the SD card is a lot faster than the old HDD.

Of course it depends on how people want to use the old computer, some people like to have the original hardware and the same 90's experience of the old HDD.

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version