OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Desktop weirdness

(1/5) > >>

Doug Bissett:
My brother has ArcaOS 5.0.4 (I haven't been able to go there to upgrade it). He is having a problem where a lot of, seemingly random, windows open (programs, folders, files), when he boots. He has "SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY" in CONFIG.SYS.. Checking the startup folders (I hope he did what I asked), shows no sign of any of this stuff.

I saw this, on his system, a few years ago, in eCS, Ar that time, it was all from one folder. There was nothing obvious wrong with the folder. I created a new folder, and moved all of the files into it, then deleted the old folder. That fixed it then, but he can't seem to relate all of this stuff to any individual folder, so I don't know what to fix.

I have used the VOICE HelpDesk thing in the past, but that won't work any more (Telus has blocked everything), so I can't have a look.

Anybody got any ideas?

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on January 12, 2021, 10:12:35 pm ---My brother has ArcaOS 5.0.4 (I haven't been able to go there to upgrade it). He is having a problem where a lot of, seemingly random, windows open (programs, folders, files), when he boots. He has "SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY" in CONFIG.SYS.. Checking the startup folders (I hope he did what I asked), shows no sign of any of this stuff.

I saw this, on his system, a few years ago, in eCS, Ar that time, it was all from one folder. There was nothing obvious wrong with the folder. I created a new folder, and moved all of the files into it, then deleted the old folder. That fixed it then, but he can't seem to relate all of this stuff to any individual folder, so I don't know what to fix.

I have used the VOICE HelpDesk thing in the past, but that won't work any more (Telus has blocked everything), so I can't have a look.

Anybody got any ideas?

--- End quote ---

Doug, why not try the easiest thing first.  Restore an archive of before the problem started and see what happens.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Doug, why not try the easiest thing first.  Restore an archive of before the problem started and see what happens.
--- End quote ---

That probably doesn't work. I think the last archive was made recently, and would include the problem. The oldest probably also has the problem, or it is about 3 years old, which would be a bigger problem.

I should have mentioned, that the same thing happens in two boot systems (on the same machine, of course). It doesn't seem to be related to a boot drive.

ivan:
Hi Doug,

Something else he could try is to clean up the INI files with something like XFIX or CLEANINI.  It may do nothing but experience says that when the INI files get too large because of junk staying there strange things happen to the Desktop on startup.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Something else he could try is to clean up the INI files with something like XFIX or CLEANINI.  It may do nothing but experience says that when the INI files get too large because of junk staying there strange things happen to the Desktop on startup.
--- End quote ---

That's a thought. I know that he was cleaning the INI files, perhaps he forgot, and it got away from him, or he may not have been doing it properly.

Thanks...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version