Author Topic: XFree86-OS/2  (Read 21251 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: XFree86-OS/2
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 11:21:11 pm »
Hi Sean

I already have XFree86-OS/2 installed and running with Dave's script. It runs the basic GUI (X Window Server?) like the picture I attached.

I'm getting right now PMX and checking the readme to see if I understand how to make it work.

My goal will be to start with the XFree86-OS/2 games to take some screenshots for the gaming site.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 01:00:26 am »
For the moment I can only launch the X11 full screen session, but I don't understand how to run X11 apps on windowed mode, like Doug and Sean are showing on their screenshots.

Unlike the commercial X desktops like Exceed and PMX, XFree was designed to run full screen and not operate in a seamless windowed mode, nor does it share the Clipboard w. OS/2.  However, you should be able to switch between XFree and PM using Alt-Escape. 

Unfortunately for my use, PMX is too sluggish.  Since my OS/2 desktop is run within a Linux VM, I'll just have to minimize OS/2 to access the few Linux applications I have been unable to replace with native PM alternatives.   I have an Exceed license I formerly used w. Windblows and the performance was fine, so I'll need to revisit why PMX is so sluggish with OS/2.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 01:44:52 am »
You can use the vnc driver with XFree86 and use pmvnc to display it on the OS/2 desktop. Still no shared clipboard.
The trick with running multiple X servers on the same system is the display parameter/environmental variable. The first one should have :0 and the second one :1,usually with the IP address, 127.0.0.1:0 or 127.0.0.1:1 for example though the OS/2 port of XFree86 actually defaults to using pipes rather then tcp/ip to communicate and to use pipes uses :0 (or :1)

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 02:39:59 am »
More doodles.  3 simple X server PNGs.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 09:53:12 pm »
Hi Sean

I already have XFree86-OS/2 installed and running with Dave's script. It runs the basic GUI (X Window Server?) like the picture I attached.

I'm getting right now PMX and checking the readme to see if I understand how to make it work.

My goal will be to start with the XFree86-OS/2 games to take some screenshots for the gaming site.

Regards

I have been trying to get this going as well.. you mention a script was this to aid in install or running it or both? Can you share the script you used?

Thankyou

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 04:13:24 am »
This is the script I use to start X11, started like "xfEnvSetup.cmd X" where X is the drive letter of X11root where X11 is installed.
Note I have display=127.0.0.1:0.0 for running kLIBC compiled binaries which don't do pipes correctly and a better setting is display=:0.0