Author Topic: Password  (Read 3017 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Password
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:59:37 am »
Greetings,

Ok so I feel dumb asking this but I have literally searched everywhere for the answer.. during my new install of arca I set user name but never got asked for a password for said user.. I only want it so I can ssh into that user. I can ssh into machine as root with password of root (also would like to know how to change that) but would rather ssh in as my user.  I’ve tried every command line sequence to set a password that I can think of..  been at this for many hours unfortunately any help appreciated I am sure I have overlooked it somewhere..

Rick

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Password
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:33:43 pm »
OS/2 is a single user operating system.

When you set USER during the installation, you are setting an environment variable named USER.

How you set up a userid and password depends on which UNIX compatibility software your ssh is based upon.

I use SAMBA Users and Groups to manage my accounts. Another system of users and passwords is accessed by the TCP/IP configuration applet. If you are a Unix user, perhaps the command line apps for user management are on your system. Finally, there is klUsrMgr, which is maintained by bww bitwise works.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Re: Password
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 06:22:45 am »
Greetings,

It turns out you can make ssh users in order to remote in.. you must have a user dir under home, and a .ssh dir inside of that. Then from a command line user -a username and follow the prompts and voila bobs your uncle you have a new ssh user!

Thanks

Rick