Author Topic: ThinkPad T60 Wifi  (Read 4477 times)

John

• View Profile
ThinkPad T60 Wifi
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:33:25 pm »
Hello! I recently purchased a T60. I restored WinXP on it (factory image) and got it dual booting with ArcaOS. However, I'm running into some issues getting a few things working:

* Universal Sound Driver doesn't seem to work
* The WiFi card isn't supported by ArcaOS? (Atheros card)

If the latter is true, what is a good card to put into the ThinkPad? A/B/G is fine, just looking for something that works with minimal issues.

Thanks!
AS/400 Hobbyist

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ThinkPad T60 Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:30:21 pm »
Hi John.

The Thinkpad T60 is listed on the AN Tested Hardware here: https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/tested-hardware/

Supposedly, everything should work, including audio and wifi. I had even a report on the wiki about this machine working fine.  But maybe the wifi card had been replaced or has some incompatible firmware level.

I recommend you first to generate and share the pci.exe report to be sure about the hardware ID of each component (specially the Audio and Wifi device). Here are my notes about getting the PCI.exe report.

Supposedly the Wifi should work with GenMAC ver 2.1 ((Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter). But it is good the confirm the hardwareID of the wifi card.

Audio should work with UniAud. Please try version 2.2.6.

Report back with more specific information, maybe the Uniaud driver give some error at boot or any genmac message you may get at boot.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:19 pm »
I can confirm that Atheros WiFi on T60 works. ArcaOS does not have the driver, because the manufacturer denied Arca Noae the right to include it. You need to download and install GenMac from Netlabs.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:03:07 am »
I can confirm that Atheros WiFi on T60 works. ArcaOS does not have the driver, because the manufacturer denied Arca Noae the right to include it. You need to download and install GenMac from Netlabs.

I ended up installing an Intel 3945 in my T60....

John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 12:47:16 pm »
Thank you all for your replies. I got the drivers installed for the WiFi, but it is very flaky connecting to my ASUS Router (RT-AC68U). My connection is a WPA2-Personal (AES). I previously installed ArcaOS on a T40 and got wifi working so I know I am doing it right? I will continue to post updates.
AS/400 Hobbyist

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 01:24:34 pm »
As you see here - https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1202.msg12286.html#msg12286 - I've tested with a T60 and Atheros chip. IIRC I had tested different genmac packages and I needed to use NOT the latest one for my T60. Not sure what the problem was.

I don't boot my T60 very often these days. But I think there is a problem with WLAN sometimes. The card/genamc seem to see none or not all access points some times. I've to reboot in such cases. I don't have such problems with my T42p and the Intel card.