Author Topic: Anyone running The Battle for Wesnoth?  (Read 9007 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Anyone running The Battle for Wesnoth?
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:12:18 pm »
Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week - expecting 20 cm of snow and possibly freezing rain up here in Alberta over the next day, so staying in to avoid the icy roads.

I'm on to another of my "to do" list items - setting up a number of games to run on ArcaOS.

I've currently got running Dos Games (under DOSBOX), some old Windows games, SDL Games, and Java based games, in addition to native OS/2 ones, however one game I'm having trouble setting up is The Battle for Wesnoth.

I especially want to get that running, as it is a game with tremendous play value..

I have:

1} Installed the folder Wesnoth provided in Martin's games compilation (v1.4.5 ported by Paul Smedley) in the Root directory (D:).

2) The necessary SDL files, I believe, at v1.2.15 level (These were installed to run older SDL games already)

3) The latest version of libc installed by ANPM (the instructions call for libc 0.6.6 csd3 so don't know if that may be the problem)

Running the game I get the screen which I have attached here. Trying on one of my other systems the same crash occurs.

So, was wondering if anyone has the Battle for Wesnoth running on ArcaOS v5.0.6 at the moment, and if so, how did you set it up to run successfully?

Best and a fine day to you!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Anyone running The Battle for Wesnoth?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 02:38:24 am »
Hi Mark, hopefully you only get 20cm of snow. Here on the coast it has been a couple of hundred mm of rain probably 300mm where I live in the mountains, couldn't even get to town today as all roads were washed out with the creeks raging like I've never seen. I'm sure your news will show it. What a weird year.
As for your crash, the trp files might tell you more, at least the module where the crash happened. There's a good chance you need a different SDL build, there's too many and they're often slightly different.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 05:21:32 am »
Hi Mark, hopefully you only get 20cm of snow. Here on the coast it has been a couple of hundred mm of rain probably 300mm where I live in the mountains, couldn't even get to town today as all roads were washed out with the creeks raging like I've never seen. I'm sure your news will show it. What a weird year.
As for your crash, the trp files might tell you more, at least the module where the crash happened. There's a good chance you need a different SDL build, there's too many and they're often slightly different.

Heh Dave!

Long time no talk!

For us at the moment the worst part is the freezing rain, something I suspect you've experienced, but this is our first big dump of the year of snow, over that, making driving out where I am treacherous, and there may be more later in the week.

I assume your in British Columbia? - heard about Highways 7 and 99, and the landslides and people being trapped in their cars up in the mountains. Also about Merritt where floodwaters rose 3 metres in hours, after 230 mm of rain in 48 hours. The only time I've ever seen dumps like that was when I was doing work for the Gas Authority in India (GAIL), during monsoon.

British Columbia just is not getting a break this year, Sir - after my stint with response to the CoVid emergency here for 15 months, I then was helping out your way, working out  in the Emergency Operations Centres, assisting in coordinating response to the BC forest fire emergencies July to mid-October, so I agree, its been a crazy year (or for me, nearly two years).

As to the TRP files, Exceptq has generated reports everytime I've started Wesnoth - I've attached one to this post.

Stay safe and dry, Sir and good talking again!

Mark

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 07:15:00 am »
Hi Mark,
Yea, I'm about 50 miles east of Vancouver. It rains a lot here but this is the whole of Novembers rain every day for the last 2 days.
Good luck with the ice storm, I hate them.
As for Battle for Wesnoth, the trp doesn't say much besides it is the exe crashing. As a WAG, I'd suggest raising your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT, perhaps to 2560, looks like a memory intense application. Maybe Paul will be by with other ideas.
Good luck with the weather.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 03:12:29 pm »
Hi Mark,
Yea, I'm about 50 miles east of Vancouver. It rains a lot here but this is the whole of Novembers rain every day for the last 2 days.
As for Battle for Wesnoth, the trp doesn't say much besides it is the exe crashing. As a WAG, I'd suggest raising your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT, perhaps to 2560, looks like a memory intense application. Maybe Paul will be by with other ideas.

Near Chilliwack perhaps?

Have a friend, whose sister and family live in Chilliwack and relatives near there up in the mountains as well - so I think its time to check in with them, as like you, they may also be washed out.

Yup, on top of snow we got an abnormal temperature trend overnight (hate those) where the temperature actually rose overnight, so more freezing rain expected over snow. And now they issued a wind warning @4:30 AM, with gusts up to 100 km/hr ............. ride'em cowboy!

Will have a look at upping memory and see what happens - I'm also going to look back at one of my older portables as I think I still have it installed successfully there, under eCS - perhaps it will give me a clue.

Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
Hi Mark,

Heh Dave!

Thought I'd check in and see how you were faring - relatives of ours are still stuck up in the mountains on generator last we heard - lost power at home.

Quite a winter storm we had, probably one of the largest single dumps I've seen here in the 31 years we've been in Alberta - had 1.5 - 2 feet of snow across most of the property, including between the garage and driveway (there was none there on Saturday) - shovelled about two tons of heavy wet snow on Tuesday and another two yesterday (not planning to kill myself). We were actually snowed in in our little hamlet of Collingwood Cove, 22 km SE of Sherwood Park for the first time ever on Tuesday (plows cleared sufficiently to get out on icy roads in 4WD yesterday)

Tried upping virtual address limit, but still exactly the same crash - saw no helpful suggestions under other OS's as this is a very old version - may just call it a day and add Wesnoth, latest version to my Windows 7 partition.

But good talking to you, Sir and stay safe - two huge disasters in BC this year is far too many and Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 06:35:32 am »
Hi Mark,
Things aren't too bad where I am, main road to town is still closed so have to take the scenic route with work on the shoulders happening here and there. Things are much worse across the river in Abbotsford where Sumas lake is attempting a comeback and off course further up the valley and in the interior where all roads and rail lines are closed. Not many empty shelves in the grocery store here and gas available, also unlike the hard hit areas. Interesting times.
I live in the snow belt so 2 feet of wet horrible snow happens regularly. With a 100 metre plus driveway, I know the pain of shoveling though most years lately have seen hardly any snow excepting the other winter where we got 6 feet :(
Too bad about the VirtualAddresslimit not helping but not surprising. Still could be the wrong SDL libraries, hard to say without the debug data.
Keep safe.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 10:31:55 am »
Hey guys,

Too bad about the VirtualAddresslimit not helping but not surprising. Still could be the wrong SDL libraries, hard to say without the debug data.

It's  been on my list to try building a more  recent Wesnoth - I'll try get to it...

Cheers,

Paul

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 03:55:07 pm »
Hey guys,

It's  been on my list to try building a more  recent Wesnoth - I'll try get to it...

Cheers,

Paul

Good Morning Paul!
(My time in Alberta)

I originally started this thread as I was trying to get v1.4.5 of Wesmoth running and was getting a crash. I attached a capture of the screen I was getting in a previous post. Any clue as to why it is crashing at the moment?

A fine day to you Sir!

Mark

Hajo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 05:05:12 pm »
I copied libc063.dll, which I found in the OS2Additions of Virtualbox, and the sdl*.dll files of this archive

h??p://www.os2site.com/sw/dev/sdl/sdl-1.2.10-bin-20080804.zip

into the bin directory of wesnoth and it started without error message on ArcaOS 5.0.4.

You can give it a try...

Only difference, I run from C: drive.

Regards,

Hajo

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 06:42:32 pm »

I copied libc063.dll, which I found in the OS2Additions of Virtualbox, and the sdl*.dll files of this archive

into the bin directory of wesnoth and it started without error message on ArcaOS 5.0.4.

You can give it a try...

Regards,

Hajo

Thanks Hajo!

Installing the specific items asked for, locally, may be the solution - I have all other items installed for use by the entire system.

As to the Drive letter I doubt there would be a difference - in Config.sys there is a statement specifying what the root directory is (usually the drive containing the Operating System  installation) - if its installed in that root directory as per Pauls installation instructions it should be fine  (unless the kLibc Manager is used to redirect to another directory)

Will try that later and let you know.

Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 12:06:45 am »

You can give it a try...

Regards,

Hajo

Hi Again Hajo!

Had a chance this afternoon to download the 1.2.10 package and install the drivers in wesnot//bin and the game fired up immediately.

It may just be because of the version of drivers or them being situated in the /bin directory (I may explore adding the 1.2.15 package instead in /bin and seeing what happens in future,. as an experiment).

Did not need to add the older Libc package - it seems to work at the latest level for the system here.

I do recall now having to do this for another rather fun quick SDL game in the past called qnetwalk, where the SDL files needed to be in the same directory as the .exe file.

So another of my to do list items checked off today - thanks Hajo! As it looks like you just joined OS2World as a member, welcome and I hope you have a pleasant experience, as there are many fine, interesting and very clever people here who are also great problem solvers.

Best!

Mark