Author Topic: SIO2K Ray Gwinn  (Read 33172 times)

bazmyslik

SIO2K Ray Gwinn
« on: January 25, 2021, 05:24:38 am »
Hi,
We all know the situation with Ray Gwinn, author of SIO2K. For many years, SIO2K has not developed or sold a license for many years. There is simply no way to legally obtain a registered version.

I have a computer with OS / 2 in a location where I have not been physically present for 2/3 months. When a power failure occurs or an OS / 2 error occurs, I have the option to restart my computer remotely. But that's not valid for me, because OS / 2 stays still and waits for the click that the unregistered version of SIO2K requires to continue and run OS / 2. It can't be done remotely :-(

I have a question and the current request: is there anyone who has purchased and owns a registered SIO2K that does not require user confirmation when running OS / 2? Is there such a person at all? For several years I have been searching in vain for a registered version of SIO2.

Is no one really the owner and wouldn't someone be willing to sell or donate a registered version given that Ray Gwinn is not communicating and cannot be obtained from him? Thank you so much for the information and help.

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: SIO2K Ray Gwinn
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:04:18 am »
At one time, it was reported that Ray was willing to open source his software, but nothing ever materialized.

Here is the old link in the forum.

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1820.15.html

I am not sure why the source code and key could not have been uploaded to Hobbes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:06:41 am by David Graser »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:14:20 pm »
Hi

Ray Gwinn was active on facebook some days ago. I'm trying again to see if we can get a freeware license for the community.

I also tried to get the source code some time ago but he needed physical presence of someone to help him with the machine. I can not recall where he was located in the US.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:21:19 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 03:31:44 pm »
Hi Robin

Excuse me if I ask too much, but I was wondering what is your need for SIO2K, what is been used for? Just to see if we can find some workaround. Is the OS/2 machine requiring a modem or some specific serial device that requires SIO2K?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 05:53:00 pm »
Hi

Ray has replied to me that he cannot make licensed versions of SIO2K, since he lost the code that makes licensed versions.
I'm asking if he can turn SIO2K as "AS IS" freeware and if it can be possible to share the license code of someone with the community. I need his confirmation.

I'm not a user of SIO2K. How is the registration process? is it just including an serial number on the application or text file, or the binary has to be produced with the serial number?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:30:01 pm »
...or to change the code to remove the license check ...

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:26 pm »
Hi Robin I was working wirh I.B.M on OS/2.0 beta about the same time Ray put out his SIO drivers. I remember getting his drivers and I had them on 3 1/2 " Floppy Disks. I don't know if I still have them or not, I was living in the U.S. at the time and may have left or lost them up there, but I also have  a bunch of floppy's down here which I will "dig up" and see if I still have the drivers. This will take me some time but I will let you know if I come up with them. Whether they will still be readable or not is another question.

klipp

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 02:49:51 pm »
Hi

I have some partial good news. Ray Gwinn authorized to share the registered version of SIO and SIO2K. But currently I don't have the registered version of SIO2K (that is why is partial good news). If someone has the registered version of SIO2K please let me know.  For what I was able to research the latest version of SIO2K was 2.03, released June 6, 2002.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

bazmyslik

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:05 pm »
Hi

Ray Gwinn was active on facebook some days ago. I'm trying again to see if we can get a freeware license for the community.

I also tried to get the source code some time ago but he needed physical presence of someone to help him with the machine. I can not recall where he was located in the US.

Regards

I know this. The conditions of continuing as set by Ray are not absolutely feasible. No one will go home to it and develop software that is no longer commercially valuable.

bazmyslik

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 07:03:58 pm »
Hi

Regards

Yes, released on June 6, 2002, works relatively well for me. But when starting the computer it requires a "press any key" and I'm 150 km away from the computer :-( My system FidoNet and BBS works until something goes wrong. Then I can remotely turn the computer off and on again, but "press any key "I really can't remotely :-( That's why I'm looking for a registered version.

I know this. The conditions of continuing as set by Ray are not absolutely feasible. No one will go home to it and develop software that is no longer commercially valuable.

bazmyslik

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:05 pm »
Hi Robin I was working wirh I.B.M on OS/2.0 beta about the same time Ray put out his SIO drivers. I remember getting his drivers and I had them on 3 1/2 " Floppy Disks. I don't know if I still have them or not, I was living in the U.S. at the time and may have left or lost them up there, but I also have  a bunch of floppy's down here which I will "dig up" and see if I still have the drivers. This will take me some time but I will let you know if I come up with them. Whether they will still be readable or not is another question.

klipp
That would be wonderful. 98% of everything is legally purchased. I don't have SIO2K from 2002, because between 2000 and 2005 I was absent from FidoNet and BBS and after 2005 Ray Gwinn no longer worked and did not sell a license and this situation remained as follows :-(

bazmyslik

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 07:14:58 pm »
Hi Robin

Excuse me if I ask too much, but I was wondering what is your need for SIO2K, what is been used for? Just to see if we can find some workaround. Is the OS/2 machine requiring a modem or some specific serial device that requires SIO2K?

Regards

I need a V-Modem for eCS and ArcaOS. The VM uses FidoNet software FrontDoor for IP connections and BBS software PCBoard also for IP connections. These software were originally made only for communication with an analog modem, but they also work via a V-Modem. There is no software for V-Modem other than SIO2K for OS / 2 :-(

bazmyslik

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 07:21:24 pm »
Hi

Ray has replied to me that he cannot make licensed versions of SIO2K, since he lost the code that makes licensed versions.
I'm asking if he can turn SIO2K as "AS IS" freeware and if it can be possible to share the license code of someone with the community. I need his confirmation.

I'm not a user of SIO2K. How is the registration process? is it just including an serial number on the application or text file, or the binary has to be produced with the serial number?

Regards

If my memory serves me right, then after paying, Ray sent sio2k.sys directly to the customer. So everyone received their sio2k.sys

bazmyslik

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 07:24:01 pm »
...or to change the code to remove the license check ...

My colleague and I have been trying unsuccessfully for 2 years :-( Ray spent more time securing the license than his own functionality :-(

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 09:42:36 pm »
Hi Robin

I think the version included with eComStation 1.1/1.2 was registered to eComStation (or Serenity Systems). Not sure if it will work on non-eCS systems but have attached it for you to try.

Regards

Pete