Author Topic: SIO2K Ray Gwinn  (Read 33158 times)

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
Re: SIO2K Ray Gwinn
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 06:12:34 pm »
Hi,

I know that I have a registered copy of both the last 1.60d build and SIO2K on my system. I don't have it handy right now, but I should be able to find both this weekend.  I'll be happy to upload it as Ray has given his blessing to do so.

Martin - if you've got a copy of the message from Ray authorizing this I'd like to include it in the ZIPs, just so that people don't think I'm inappropriately violating Ray's copyright.

Cheers.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 08:41:09 pm »
Martin - if you've got a copy of the message from Ray authorizing this I'd like to include it in the ZIPs, just so that people don't think I'm inappropriately violating Ray's copyright.

Hi Fahrvenugen, I send yoou over e-mail the screenshot of my chat with Ray Gwinn.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 06:00:06 am »
Hi all,

I found my registered versions of both SIO 1.60d and SIO2K (Version 2.0.3).  As far as I can tell this version of SIO2K may be one of the final ones to be sent out by Ray.  I had stayed pretty up to date with releases.  Checking my emails from that time (2002) I had been providing Ray with feedback on my testing of the driver on Warp 3.  This driver does work with properly with Warp 3 with Fixpak 40 (at least it did in 2002).

The ZIP's are close to original as possible with the addition that I've added the screen shot of the discussion that Martin had with Ray giving permission to distribute the registered version of SIO2K.

As far as I can tell they should work and show up as registered at boot, but if someone can grab these and do a quick install / test to confirm that the registration comes through in the ZIPed files then that would be a positive thing (at one point I think SIO used a hidden key file for registration if memory serves, but I could not find such a file in these installs.  In my own testing they both seemed to work showing the registered version, my install method was to unzip the files in a folder and modify the config.sys per the documentation). 

Martin - presuming these installs run registered as expected, if you'd like to add them either to the online wiki / information that you maintain here at OS2World or to Hobbes I'm good with that.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:06:05 am by Fahrvenugen »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 04:34:38 pm »
Martin - presuming these installs run registered as expected, if you'd like to add them either to the online wiki / information that you maintain here at OS2World or to Hobbes I'm good with that.

Thanks to the people that shared the files. I will be uploading those to Hobbes.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Fritz Chwolka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2021, 07:12:08 pm »
 :)  Thanks ...

I have the registered 1.6 for 10 coms  but didn't found my 2.0 version so I'm happy with your help.

bazmyslik

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2021, 11:25:09 am »
Hi all,

I found my registered versions of both SIO 1.60d and SIO2K (Version 2.0.3).  As far as I can tell this version of SIO2K may be one of the final ones to be sent out by Ray.  I had stayed pretty up to date with releases.  Checking my emails from that time (2002) I had been providing Ray with feedback on my testing of the driver on Warp 3.  This driver does work with properly with Warp 3 with Fixpak 40 (at least it did in 2002).

The ZIP's are close to original as possible with the addition that I've added the screen shot of the discussion that Martin had with Ray giving permission to distribute the registered version of SIO2K.

As far as I can tell they should work and show up as registered at boot, but if someone can grab these and do a quick install / test to confirm that the registration comes through in the ZIPed files then that would be a positive thing (at one point I think SIO used a hidden key file for registration if memory serves, but I could not find such a file in these installs.  In my own testing they both seemed to work showing the registered version, my install method was to unzip the files in a folder and modify the config.sys per the documentation). 

Cheers!

I unpacked the package and uploaded the whole unpacked in place of the original unregistered version and HEUREKA works !!!

It is only a question of how two identical registered copies will behave against each other. Ray, if I remember correctly, had protection so that it would not work and thus prevent theft :-(

I'll verify it, but I need a few hours to get another computer up and running with ArcaOS.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 12:19:46 am »

It is only a question of how two identical registered copies will behave against each other. Ray, if I remember correctly, had protection so that it would not work and thus prevent theft :-(

I'll verify it, but I need a few hours to get another computer up and running with ArcaOS.

Please do give it a try to verify, but from what I know it *should* work fine, at least the SIO2K version.

Keep in mind that while it is certainly functional and works well, from what I remember SIO2K was still considered by Ray to be in a beta/testing (but still good enough for paid registered versions) state at the time of 2.0.3.  One of the email exchanges that I had with him at the time suggested that he'd be okay with me installing it on more then one of my machines but didn't want me to distribute it to other people (which is why I wanted to be sure we had permission from Ray before just uploading it here).  As I mentioned earlier I was one of the few people providing him with Warp 3 testing / functionality feedback on the driver and had it installed on both my Warp 3 and 4 machines.  If there was to be a protection issue then I suspect he'd have indicated as such and I would probably have run into issues running the same driver on more then one machine.

Glad to hear it works for you!  It is always better to have something boot and not have to press the any key during bootup.

bazmyslik

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2021, 09:19:58 pm »

Please do give it a try to verify, but from what I know it *should* work fine, at least the SIO2K version.

Keep in mind that while it is certainly functional and works well, from what I remember SIO2K was still considered by Ray to be in a beta/testing (but still good enough for paid registered versions) state at the time of 2.0.3.  One of the email exchanges that I had with him at the time suggested that he'd be okay with me installing it on more then one of my machines but didn't want me to distribute it to other people (which is why I wanted to be sure we had permission from Ray before just uploading it here).  As I mentioned earlier I was one of the few people providing him with Warp 3 testing / functionality feedback on the driver and had it installed on both my Warp 3 and 4 machines.  If there was to be a protection issue then I suspect he'd have indicated as such and I would probably have run into issues running the same driver on more then one machine.

Glad to hear it works for you!  It is always better to have something boot and not have to press the any key during bootup.

I have SIO2K installed with me 420/333 and my colleague 423/81 with him and the connection is going fine without any problems or restrictions. You are very satisfied and thank you very much.

milosb

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 09:12:49 am »

I have SIO2K installed with me 420/333 and my colleague 423/81 with him and the connection is going fine without any problems or restrictions. You are very satisfied and thank you very much.

VMODEM protocol is not used between 420/333 and 423/81...

bazmyslik

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2021, 12:48:45 pm »

VMODEM protocol is not used between 420/333 and 423/81...

Oh, I got it wrong. Only I use VMODEM on 420/333. I am sorry. So the connection of two identical S / N SIO2K has not been verified yet.

bazmyslik

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 07:43:53 am »

Bad news :-( I verified the connection of two computers with SIO2K obtained here and registered on Lorne Tyndale and two of the same S / N can not be used :-( Ray Gwin has it protected and therefore calmly gave consent to the distribution :-(