Author Topic: Hpt path statement  (Read 5421 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Hpt path statement
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:52:53 am »
Greetings again,

I am setting up hpt husky (fidonet mail tosser) and all works fine.. except that I do not know how to put the config for husky one the path... I put all the executables in \usr\bin so can call husky from anywhere no problem. Husky requires a config file which is in C:\config\ in Linux I would just create a symlink to the config no problem, how do I get it to see the config file, I’ve put it on the path, I’ve tried set hpt=c:\config none of it works.  I can run it hpt -C c:\config\config but that’s not ideal... any suggestions?

Hope you are all well

Rick

Mentore

• View Profile
Re: Hpt path statement
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:11:35 am »
Greetings again,

I am setting up hpt husky (fidonet mail tosser) and all works fine.. except that I do not know how to put the config for husky one the path... I put all the executables in \usr\bin so can call husky from anywhere no problem. Husky requires a config file which is in C:\config\ in Linux I would just create a symlink to the config no problem, how do I get it to see the config file, I’ve put it on the path, I’ve tried set hpt=c:\config none of it works.  I can run it hpt -C c:\config\config but that’s not ideal... any suggestions?

Hope you are all well

Rick

Hi Rick,
a quick hack would be to use a desktop object, with the -C C:\config\config option in the command line call. Could you do with this?
Mentore

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:16:07 pm »
Hi Rick, try "set HPT=c:\\config" or "set HPT=c:/config".

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 09:40:17 pm »
Hi Rick, try "set HPT=c:\\config" or "set HPT=c:/config".

Doesn’t seem to fix it.. logically it should work? And I’m not sure about how to make a desktop object and suggested above..

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:16:04 am »
The really simple way would just write a cmd file, hpt.cmd, consisting of something like,
Code: [Select]
hpt.exe -C C:\config\config
or, too not pollute your \usr\bin install, something like, (doing a lot of guessing)
Code: [Select]
SET PATH=c:\programs\hpt;%PATH%
SET BEGINLIBPATH=c:\programs\hpt\lib;%BEGINLIBPATH%
hpt.exe -C C:config\config

Then just have hpt.cmd on your PATH

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 03:54:17 pm »
Greetings everyone,

All great suggestions, I’m just calling it with the path to config each time... doesn’t seem I should have to but it works.  Another question, can arca run services or daemons? I want to run say binkd in the background but don’t want it to have a “window” in fact lots of things I auto start I wish didn’t take up the task bar is there a way to correct that or is it just have to be?

Hope you are all well...

Rick

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 04:13:27 pm »
Hi Rick,

Use the detach command.

@detach example.exe 'parameters'

Be careful about where output may go. Some older programs do not like being detached.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 04:22:01 pm »
Hi Rick

Yes, a common example these days being the CUPS daemon, cupsd.exe, which runs in an "invisible" window.

In case you do not have the CUPS daemon object the Properties for the object:-

Path and filename: L:\OS2\CMD.EXE
Parameters: /c detach J:\cups\sbin\cupsd.exe
Working directory: J:\CUPS\SBIN

For binkd you would need to change the Parameters and Working directory to match the location of binkd.exe - as well as the Drive Letter for CMD.EXE

Program objects are usually created by Right Mouse Click on program executable and select Create Program Object from popup menu which will fill in the Path, Parameters and Working directory automatically with those program executable details. Works great for PM apps; However, to start daemons in detached mode you need to change those details to use cmd.exe as the Program with the app you want to run detached as a Parameter.

Hope the above makes sense.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 05:09:04 am »
If the tasks on the task bar are bothering you, you can hide them. Right click on the task, and select Filter...
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com