OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

What should be bundled/configured on the ArcaOS Installer by default?

(1/7) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

This is just one of those "brainstorming" questions that I do from time to time. I'm happy with ArcaOS 5.0.6 and compared to a clean OS/2 Warp 4.52 install, ArcaOS offers a lot of software bundled that saves some time.

But what else do you always install on your clean ArcaOS install?

I have a list here, but it is very specific to my needs list, but not being selfish, I think what I would love to have included on the ArcaOS installer are:

* Gotcha - I think a screenshot grab utility is important to have (even Windows has it)
* HBShowDesktop - I really think that an icon on the xcenter to minimize all windows to show the desktop is useful
* Extended System Tray - This is the xcenter widget that shows me the icon of several Qt applications when are running on the background. (Note: the icon should be changed to not resemble W98)

What else do you think it should be useful to be included on the installer? What configuration you always do once you install a clean ArcaOS? It is very specific to your needs, or do you think it can installed by default?

...it is just brainstorming, nothing will be written in stone  ;D

Regards

andreas:
my suggetions are:
- Close all Folders (KillFldr) -> very practical. you can close all open folders just with one click
- Black Hole - for quickly deleting files and folders
- Watchdog  - when your desktop hangs the program cleanly shuts down the the file system and re-enables CTRL-
   ALT-DEL
- Winback - also very practical for putting the upper open window to the bottom of the stack with a double click
  on the top bar
- PM-Kill - Point and shoot killing of open programs from the desktop (you get a kill-pointer)
- FileManager/2 (i guess everybody knows that one)
- 4allCalc - VERY good and practical calculator
- ME (Martins Editor) - i like that one, cause you can easily swich between different formats (especially win/IBM)
- Assoedit (everyone installs that one anyway i guess)
- cleanini + checkini
- BS_info (sys-info-program)
- BS_FF (search program)
- ePDF
- WUZ (unzipping with one double-click onto the desktop)

have a lot of other programs installed, but the ones i named are essential for me

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Andreas.

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link for Winback? Was it freeware or Shareware?

Regards.

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on February 09, 2021, 04:25:51 am ---Hi Andreas.

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link for Winback? Was it freeware or Shareware?

Regards.

--- End quote ---
I like this program which does something similar.

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/title.zip

This program modual was designed to add some missing funcitonality to OS/2. The specific features are: 1) right-click on the Titlebar pushes a window back in the z-order. *2) ctrl-right-click shrinks a window to its titlebar size.

Yes, Kill folder would be a good one to include.

https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/killfold-fix.zip
KillFolder, closes all open folders on the desktop. Fixed installer, fixed documentation and normalized return code. The installer now matches the documentation, excluding optionally replacing AAAAA.EXE by KILLFOLD.EXE. Source file updated and rebuild with IBM VAC 3.08 and lxLite. Known 'feature': if a folder is minimized, then KillFolder does not maximize it first. So re-opening this minimized folder, closed by KillFolder, opens it minimized again.

The yellow sticky note widget for XCenter  ZNote would be a good one to add.

http://www.os2usr.org/xcenter/znote_wgt.zip

andreas:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on February 09, 2021, 04:25:51 am --- Do you have a link for Winback? Was it freeware or Shareware?

Regards.

--- End quote ---

don't remember where i got winback from. have that one since decades. but i attatch it here..
it is freeware.

As far as i know all the other programs are freeware. Not sure about 4allcalc. i paid for that one. but i guess meanwhile it is free, same as fm/2

thanks david for the link to the update of killfldr. i still had an older version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version