Author Topic: What should be bundled/configured on the ArcaOS Installer by default?  (Read 15808 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: What should be bundled/configured on the ArcaOS Installer by default?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 02:14:53 am »
The method a lot of Linux distributions uses is to have a non-free repository located in some jurisdiction without software patents and not too friendly to America. So after install, you add the non-free repository and install stuff like VLC.
It is also possible to compile a media player to not support various codecs, so with FFmpeg and I presume VLC, you could ship a cut down version that only plays patent free codecs. VP9 (and lower numbers) for video and Opus and such for audio. Things like MP3 where the patents have expired also could be included. Probably still not worth the hassle for Arca Noae, especially in America where it is so easy to get sued and even when in the right, too expensive to defend yourself, so we'll be left installing this stuff after the main install.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
Re: What should be bundled/configured on the ArcaOS Installer by default?
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 11:38:32 pm »
That sounds like a pretty good compromise - considering the US is the land of the lawsuit.  It is almost like the right to sue is in the Bill of Rights.

Even if there was not one dedicated site for all these "additional" applications, just a list of apps and links of where to download (almost the same thing) would be great.  I saw a number of apps in this thread that I had never heard of before.

As for media players, I haven't used Mplayer or PMplayer but I do use VLC and it is VERY impressive.  Kudos and thanks to the VLC team and especially
KO Myung-Hun for porting to OS/2.