Author Topic: Absolute path?  (Read 4718 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Absolute path?
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:50:37 am »
Greetings,

When trying to run a new try at ssh I get the following error when starting sshd

Sshd re-exec requires execution with an absolute path

I have not a clue what that means, anyone?

Regards,

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Absolute path?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:06:09 am »
An example of an absolute path to bar.exe, "c:\foo\bar\bar.exe"
An example of a relative path to bar.exe starting at c:\foo\foo, "..\bar\bar.exe"
So basically an absolute path starts at the root and works from anywhere, vs a relative path which is always relative.
Occasionally a port doesn't understand drive letters so as long as it is on the same volume, "\foo\bar\bar.exe" will also work
Sometimes ports want / as a path separator instead of \ as well or they see \ as an escape character, in which case \\ will work.
You'll need to test

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 06:52:56 am »
An example of an absolute path to bar.exe, "c:\foo\bar\bar.exe"
An example of a relative path to bar.exe starting at c:\foo\foo, "..\bar\bar.exe"
So basically an absolute path starts at the root and works from anywhere, vs a relative path which is always relative.
Occasionally a port doesn't understand drive letters so as long as it is on the same volume, "\foo\bar\bar.exe" will also work
Sometimes ports want / as a path separator instead of \ as well or they see \ as an escape character, in which case \\ will work.
You'll need to test

So sshd.exe is the object and is located in /usr/bin/sshd.exe are you suggesting putting that in the path somehow or changing the working directory for the object to either / or //? Sorry I guess I just didn’t follow your suggestion entirely.

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:00 am »
Possibilities, use x:\usr\bin as the working directory. Make sure the program object points to x:\usr\bin\sshd.exe.
Though I think it might be referring to having its configuration refer to it by the full path. The original error was caused by re-exec, or in other words restarting itself, probably due to a change in configuration and it needs the full path name to find itself. x:\usr\bin\sshd.exe or x:/usr/bin/sshd.exe, perhaps even without the .exe

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 07:55:10 am »
Possibilities, use x:\usr\bin as the working directory. Make sure the program object points to x:\usr\bin\sshd.exe.
Though I think it might be referring to having its configuration refer to it by the full path. The original error was caused by re-exec, or in other words restarting itself, probably due to a change in configuration and it needs the full path name to find itself. x:\usr\bin\sshd.exe or x:/usr/bin/sshd.exe, perhaps even without the .exe

Thanks for your help with this, I’ve tried every combination I can think of, still can get past that absolute path error.. I can’t find anything on google either oddly enough..

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 08:48:59 am »
Possibly the error is misleading, with not using an absolute path a common reason for the failure with your failure being for different reasons.