Author Topic: OS/2 on Virtualbox with 8 COM ports  (Read 55254 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 on Virtualbox with 8 COM ports
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 02:32:58 pm »
OK, I have read the HP Technical reference guide for your computers and started to assemble an equivalent computer here - main difference is it will have an AMD processor.

When that is complete I will check the bootable CD to see that it installs without too many problems before I convert it to an ISO file for you.  Will also check and see if there is the 3Com ethernet card driver included.

May take a couple of days before I am satisfied with the CD - also have to fit in all the other things that crop up (when you retire you seem to work harder than you ever did or maybe it is being 80 odd years old and you slow down  ;) )

It is good to find more lady real engineers - they are few and hard to find.  Keep up the good work and always ask 'why'.

Rota

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2021, 03:09:14 pm »
It is good to find more lady real engineers - they are few and hard to find.  Keep up the good work and always ask 'why'.

Daniele in Italy is a man's name  ;D. It's Daniel in English  ;D
I hope you are helping me not only because you think I'm a lady  ;D ;D ;D
Otherwise many thanks again for gift to this activity your precious time, I love to know your still work with passion at your age ;).

Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 04:04:27 pm »
Hi Daniele

Sorry for keep insisting, but it may be good if you can give it a try installing OS/2 Warp 4.52 on some spare HDD and connect it to the machine. OS/2 Warp 4.52 has a boot CD and the install CD and it will save you a lot of time of all the fixpacks that need to be installed on Warp 4.0.  I know that the machine may be originally intended for Warp 4, but I'm almost sure there will be no issues.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 04:18:09 pm »
Opps, Sorry I put my foot in it - I should have known, after all I've been in France for over 25 years.  I hope you are not offended,

The reason I am helping is because you are someone willing to learn about OS/2.  In the past I employed 3 lady engineers with the 6 male engineers and think that being an engineer depends on ability and not gender.

As I got older I realised that the universities were producing engineers that were reasonable on theory but useless on the practical and when they encountered a problem they never asked 'why' so I tried to help by teaching those interested what I had learned over the years - even got paid for it by several companies - eventually it becomes a way of life that is hard to put down when you retire.

Rota

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 08:35:09 pm »
Hi Daniele

Sorry for keep insisting, but it may be good if you can give it a try installing OS/2 Warp 4.52 on some spare HDD and connect it to the machine. OS/2 Warp 4.52 has a boot CD and the install CD and it will save you a lot of time of all the fixpacks that need to be installed on Warp 4.0.  I know that the machine may be originally intended for Warp 4, but I'm almost sure there will be no issues.

Regards

Hi,
I understand your reason for keep insisting, but I don't have install CD of OS/2 Warp 4 or 4.52 and I don't know if it's legal, expecially for industry use, download it from the net.
For me is better to have a working clone of the original machine hd, so I don't need to reinstall and re-configure the machine software. It safe me many hours of machine out of production if I can change the pc controller with one already configured.
But of course, if download OS/2 warp 4.52 it's legal I could consider also this way ;).

Thanks
Regards

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 09:20:03 pm »
I don't know about Warp 4.52 but Warp 4 should be legat after all IBM gave copies away as the cover CD on a computer magazine in 1997 or 1998, I can't remember the exact date - in fact, it was that CD I used to create my first bootable CD, one not using floppies to start the install,  It will also be the base from which I will build a version with all the fix paks that should run on your HP computers.

One thing you need to do is copy all the controller software for your machinne to a safe place (look for any install logs that might tell if any DLLs were copied to D:\os2\dll and copy those as well - that is unless you have installable copies of that software.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 09:32:58 pm »
Hi Danielle

I'm just curious to know which "8 Port card" does the PC connected to the industrial machine uses.
If you can share some pictures, that would be great too.

I was thinking (crazy thinking) what should be required to replace all the PC hardware for a modern one (in case it is necessary). I was checking on amazon some modern 8 port serial card, (like this), but I have no reports of this kind of card running on ArcaOS or OS/2.

I was also checking some other industrial device that uses OS/2 with a huge ISA "IBM ARTIC1868-Port Adapter".

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rota

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 09:41:25 pm »
Hi Martin,
the board is a
DIGIBOARD AN 30001754.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 04:32:34 am »
Hi Daniele

Regards

Hi,
I understand your reason for keep insisting, but I don't have install CD of OS/2 Warp 4 or 4.52 and I don't know if it's legal, expecially for industry use, download it from the net.
For me is better to have a working clone of the original machine hd, so I don't need to reinstall and re-configure the machine software. It safe me many hours of machine out of production if I can change the pc controller with one already configured.
But of course, if download OS/2 warp 4.52 it's legal I could consider also this way ;).

Thanks
Regards

You already have three legal licenses for IBM OS/2. You can legally reinstall from Warp 4 media and try to patch your way to a running system.

OS/2 is not freeware. IBM has a contract with Arca Noae. OS/2 users can buy a legal copy of ArcaOS.

Another consideration is that ArcaOS would be a simple install on the old machines you have available. Networking is pretty easy to configure on ArcaOS, so it should be pretty easy to copy the files over, and get the Gasonics software running.

I was wondering about using an old office machine in a clean room? Is that really OK?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Rota

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 09:03:14 am »
Hi,
I can patch my Warp4 or I can also install Warp4.52 if I find it for download?
The pcs are on the back of the tools in grey area, but also the original pc are simple pc...
Just clean well the office pc before get it into clean room 😉.

Regards

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 12:58:16 pm »
Does the application really run on OS/2 or it's just a DOS app?

I haven't found anything special in the CONFIG.SYS. The only additions seem the be
Code: [Select]
LIBPATH=...D:\PEP\DLL;
RUN=D:\OS2\SYSTEM\HYBERSET.EXE
Or is this caused by the installed bonupak apps?

At least the OS/2 driver for the Digi AccelePort Digiboard ISA card should have an entry there, I guess. A DOS driver exists for this card and DOS accesses the card independent of the host OS. The same applies for a 3Com 509 ISA network card.

I had for multiple years a PDP-11 emulation with an ISA Osprey CPU board and DOS software, an ISA Digiboard and an ISA 3Com 509 nic running, first under W95, then under eCS. I'm happy that the emulation on the current system has moved almost completely to software. Also the multiple serial ports (we could drop that down from 16 avaliable to 8, with 5 ones in use) have a driver for the host OS (unfortunately W7), but for the 4 data buses we had to use special hardware from Startech, because of timing issues with others.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 03:48:32 pm »

It's OS/2, compiled with Borland C++ and IBM CSet++.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 05:26:14 pm »
Hi Danielle

I wrote this little page with the information you let us know.
- Novellus Gasonics PEP Iridia DL Plasma Asher

Can it be possible for you to take some pictures of the OS/2 software, so I can also include it to the gallery? What is the name of the software it uses?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2021, 05:51:47 pm »

I haven't found anything special in the CONFIG.SYS. The only additions seem the be
Code: [Select]
LIBPATH=...D:\PEP\DLL;
RUN=D:\OS2\SYSTEM\HYBERSET.EXE
Or is this caused by the installed bonupak apps?

IIRC, HYBERSET is for the trap door where you could suspend OS/2 and run a pure DOS session.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2021, 06:05:21 pm »
IIRC, HYBERSET is for the trap door where you could suspend OS/2 and run a pure DOS session.
Thanks.