Author Topic: Create OS/2 image of a HDD  (Read 3110 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Create OS/2 image of a HDD
« on: February 16, 2021, 08:13:28 pm »
Hi

I need some suggestions to create an OS/2 Warp 3 image of a IDE HDD drive. The partition it is on HFPS format.

What I would like to do is to remove the IDE HDD from the old machine, plug it to a different machine (with Windows or OS/2) and extract the image of that HDD from there.

I know DFSee can do that , but I don't have too much experience with it.

Are there any other techniques or software to take that HDD (HPFS partiton) image that you recommend? (Window and/or OS/2).

Regards

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Create OS/2 image of a HDD
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:30:52 pm »
Being Warp v3, most any disk cloning software should work as long as you keep the CHS boundaries when you restore it.
Perhaps a live CD with gparted, which last time I used it, did have a setting for keeping CHS boundaries.
https://gparted.org/livecd.php

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Create OS/2 image of a HDD
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:38:58 am »
I would plug the Warp 3 drive into an OS/2 computer and zip each drive into its own zip file. That is assuming the drives are reasonably small, which Warp 3 drives usually are.

Then you can unzip the file to the freshly formatted drive on a new computer. As long as you format with the same file system, it will boot, but if not, SYSINSTX x: is your friend.

This even works to make a Warp 3 virtual machine, assuming you have some bootable OS/2 image, like an ArcaOS installation .ISO file.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com