Author Topic: Motherboard audio in Warp 4.52  (Read 5524 times)

CaptainKoloth

Motherboard audio in Warp 4.52
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:10 pm »
Hello everyone:

Growing up an operating system that ran DOS and Windows and also other programs sounded like the greatest thing ever! Now that I actually have started fooling around with OS/2 I have discovered that, with respect to driver support for most hardware, it is a horrible, buggy mess that barely supports any hardware at all and has a heart attack when you do ANYTHING that might be slightly beyond the hardware available in about 1993... I vent!

Anyway, I've installed OS/2 Warp 4.52 on a 1999-era Gateway. The install went fine but I cannot for the life of me get the sound to work. I only have motherboard audio and don't want to shell out for yet another sound card so I got the uniaud drivers from os2site. I successfully installed these and on startup OS/2 recognizes it as an Ensoniq 1371 at 0x1400, IRQ 11, with CL 4297 mixer. However, once booted into the OS itself, no sound will play no matter what I do, and if I go to selective installation it still shows as no multimedia device. It does show up in the hardware manager, but I can't seem to get it to play sounds. I recognize this is a ridiculously obscure set of conditions but... any ideas? I tried also with a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit and drivers from os2site and had the same result. I know I can buy an old SB16 or something but I'm trying not to buy more old computer hardware.

Attaching an image of what I see on startup.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:34:31 pm by CaptainKoloth »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Motherboard audio in Warp 4.52
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 04:44:20 pm »
For better hardware support you get either purchase Arca OS or purchase their drive subscription. Which works with OS/2 4 and eComstation (an a later OS/2 licensed product. The versio of OS/2 was last done in 1998. Rather long in the tooth without updated drivers.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 05:39:15 pm »
I would question the use of ancient computer hardware especially motherboards that haven't been used for a while, the components degrade and electrolytic capacitors dry out with very strange results.

I also contest your statement that OS/2 and its later derivatives is
it is a horrible, buggy mess that barely supports any hardware at all and has a heart attack when you do ANYTHING that might be slightly beyond the hardware available in about 1993...
  especially since I am running it on the latest hardware for the third generation of the AMD Ryzen processor.  For sound I use the USB sound drivers because they drive my sound system which is also connected to DVD player and a few other things.

Yes, there are a few utilities that don't work with the new Ryzen processor but that is because they were written to only use up to 4 cores.  All the basic tools just work, Blue CAD , Open Office, all the java programs I need, and some I don't, also the QT4 based apps I use.  And by the way the computer is on 24/7 - not bad for an old operating system.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »
Try Paul's latest uniaud builds by looking at this thread.

<https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2436.555.html>

PS, I have not updated the external os2site.com in a while due to lack of time, and problems getting secure access to the site.
I will have another go middle of this year once my life is settled down :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:23:40 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:56:38 pm »
Hi

Might be worth checking the mixer settings to make sure output is on and volume levels are set; PMunimix comes in handy for this job https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/util/mixers/PMUniMix-bin-0_82.zip

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »
Hi

Like some other fellows suggest, my first take on this will be to try the latest Uniaud.
First - "Uniaud-20200506.exe"
Later - Uniaud Paul's Build.

Please post back to see if there is any progress.

There are some old Ensoniq driver on hobbes, but I would try Uniaud first.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:23:19 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:24:06 pm »

There are some old Ensoniq driver on hobbes, but I would try Uniaud first.

Regards

The Ensoniq driver on hobbes et al, are for Ensoniq ISA cards not the Audio PCI card. Ensoniq was bought out by Creative and the Audio PCI was re-released as Sound Blaster PCI 128, PCI 512 and so on, using the same Ensoniq control chip but using a inferior AC97 chip as a DAC, rather than the reasonably good DAC on the original. In general you should search for SB PCI 128 drivers rather than Ensoniq.

Since it does install correctly, announces itself correctly and the same results happen with a SB Live with Sander's completely different set of drivers my guess is either a simple misconfiguration in config.sys or corrupted MMINSTALL config, corrupted or partially missing MM subsystem, or other OS to MM subsystem misconfiguration. It is worth a try uninstalling the MM subsystem and reinstalling it from the original CD, or at the least manually taking a look t the configuration files in the MM subfolder.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 07:30:12 am »
I had never been able to get an ensoniq PCI card to work with the earlier Uniaud drivers, and experienced problems with different SB Live cards that mixer setting tweaks could never help but the SB Live! 5.1 (SB0100) card worked fine for me with Sanders driver and the earlier Uniaud, but a SB Live 5.1 CT4670 never worked properly even through Uniaud appeared to load fine.

All of these now work with Paul's latest Uniaud build. This is where I would start, install Paul's Uniaud driver, install PMUniMix, check the controls then follow Olafur's suggestions if there is still no audio. Sometimes no audio is simply due to the master, or one of the other relevant level controls being on 0 after installation.
Cheers
Ian B Manners