Author Topic: ODIN  (Read 5797 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
ODIN
« on: February 26, 2021, 02:23:34 am »
Greetings,

My fist go with odin I am getting a error when opening my win app... missing MSCVRT.DLL anyone know where I can locate this safely?

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ODIN
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:46:17 am »
From a Windows install.
Here's a copy I have.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 02:52:57 am »
Hi Rick

Are you using ArcaOS and Odin from the RPM?

The Windows directory structure is on "C:\var\lib\odin", but for the first time put "MSCVRT.DLL" in the same directory of the .exe you are trying to run. Remember that not all Win32 applications will run with Odin.

Which Windows program are you trying to run?
I tried to recreate the Win32 database of programs that runs on OS/2 on the wiki, but I'm still missing a lot.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 06:12:50 pm »
Hi Rick

Are you using ArcaOS and Odin from the RPM?

The Windows directory structure is on "C:\var\lib\odin", but for the first time put "MSCVRT.DLL" in the same directory of the .exe you are trying to run. Remember that not all Win32 applications will run with Odin.

Which Windows program are you trying to run?
I tried to recreate the Win32 database of programs that runs on OS/2 on the wiki, but I'm still missing a lot.

Regards

I’m trying to run syncterm it’s a telnet bbs terminal I guess is the best way to describe it

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 07:19:51 pm »
A lot of the time, older releases are more likely to run with Odin, think Win9x software.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:43:22 pm »
think Win9x software.
Rather NT 4 versions, e.g. its help file viewer.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 08:17:16 am »
Hi,

So being new to Odin I’m getting stuck… I’m trying to install a win app via its installer like putty. I know qputty exists but does not seem to support newer keys and just isn’t working. Anyhow what I have been doing is pe puttyinstaller and I keep running into fatal error missing kernel32.dll so I grabbed it off a xp install put it on arca but doesn’t correct it, do I have to put it somewhere specific? Will this even work? I can run the individual .exe’s but if somehow the installer would allow other programs to call it.

I don’t know if this is even possible but I’d figure I’d ask here instead of wasting more time.

Regards,

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 08:42:09 am »
It has been a long time since playing with Odin. There were a few problems with installing programs, some used 16 bit installers, which Odin couldn't handle, there was a way to change the installer to 32 bit. Newer installers probably don't have that problem.
One trick was to unpack the installer, you'd have to Google to see if that was possible. Another trick was to install on Windows and move the install over. That meant catching all the DLLs and also registry settings.
I do remember running the Win32 putty at one point, probably an old one compared to what you're installing.
Sometimes DLLs needed to go into System32,which I guess is now somewhere under @unixroot.
Most of my experimenting was before it became a @unixroot thing. Bitwise did a lot of work on Odin, but it was all concentrated on things like getting Java or Flash to run.
The weird thing is it is hard to even figure out the directory structure since Odin was moved to @unixroot. Seems the DLLs are now mixed into @unixroot/usr/lib, where there is a kernel32.dll. Perhaps missing a needed export for your Putty install.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 09:57:53 pm »
look for odinapp.zip and install it as seen on this page: https://trac.netlabs.org/odin32
OdinApp Package   ZIP   The OdinApp package is only needed for Win32 apps not built with the Odin SDK.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 10:35:32 pm »
One thing I forget about is possibly the need to run @unixroot\usr\lib\odin\odininst.exe which will set up the registry.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 10:56:53 pm »
Since I have always been leary of the idea of stuffing everything in @unixroot I kept my ODIN directory structure intact and culled all the odin bits from @unixroot.

Attached for those interested are the dir output fot the main odin dir and the system32 dir.