Author Topic: USB sound effects - Any methods?  (Read 3640 times)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
USB sound effects - Any methods?
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:18:25 pm »
Hi all. I know it's a bit frivolous and pointless but it's come across in my recent obsession with desktop customization... Is there any viable way to replace the PC beeps for a USB drive being inserted/removed to be replaced with a Wave sound like in other OSes? The idea of having a play.cmd script execute did come to mind but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be.

Lars

• View Profile
Re: USB sound effects - Any methods?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:54:34 pm »
I have already supplied a Beep replacement elsewhere. However, that was a direct replacement of a sine signal being played back. But it would be easy to write a daemon that triggers on device insertion and playing a WAV file.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 12:30:55 am »
Hi

Wim has a useful tool, usbwarn, that opens the Drives folder when a USB drive is attached.
This tool includes a cmd file that I think could be modified to also play a sound. See https://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html

Regards

Pete

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:16:18 am »
Hi

Wim has a useful tool, usbwarn, that opens the Drives folder when a USB drive is attached.
This tool includes a cmd file that I think could be modified to also play a sound. See https://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html

Regards

Pete

Sweet, that's actually pretty useful just for the fact that it automatically opens the drives folder... Now, to modify the script and write another daemon for ejection  ;D

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:28:00 am »
The original MSD daemon that came with the IBM USB stack contains a daemon that reacts on insert and eject. The source code is in the DDK. You just have to slightly modify it for your purpose.