OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Slow graphics in ArcaOS on VBox when resolution is "large"

(1/4) > >>

jailbird:
I've noticed this for a while now but I only recently figured out the situation.

On any version of VBox from the last couple of years, when you install ArcaOS (any version, I'm using 5.0.6 now), the default resolution is pretty low and everything is good. After installing the VBox Guest Additions and GRADD (in newer releases, ArcaOS will do this for you during install if you tell it to), everything is still pretty good up to about 1024x768. There's probably very slight lag, but nothing really noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it.

At 1280x1024, there's definitely noticeable UI lag just moving the cursor around. Eg, you can definitely see the mouse pointer "stutter" moving it to the XCenter menu button and clicking on something and selecting it.

At 1600x1000, the UI lag is so bad it's very aggregating trying to navigate around.

So it seems like the larger, the slower it is. This is basic 2D stuff, not 3D. Increasing the VRAM assigned to the VM doesn't help.

Is this a generic OS/2-related issue (eg, the way GRADD works), or is it a VBox guest additions issue?

Lars:
I am running Virtualbox at 1920x1080 with 16 M colors.
No stuttering at all.
Make sure you have no Panorama leftovers.
Only the pure gengradd.
I am running eCS 2.2 beta. Don't know if that makes a difference.

One tip, in config.sys try:
SET C1=GENGRADD,SBFILTER

"SBFILTER" will enable shadow buffering which might speed up things (just like with Panorama).

jailbird:
Strange.   This is a fresh install  too.  I guess I'll try a reinstall (again).

And it looks like the ArcaOS installer already does 'SET C1=GENGRADD,SBFILTER' :(

Martin Iturbide:
Hi jailbird.

I'm also running Virtualbox at 1920x1080 with 16 M colors. VirtualBox 6.1.18 W10 host. ArcaOS 5.0.6 on the guest. I do not experience any mouse lag that make it hard to use on that resolution. I can not try any higher resolutions with the hardware that I have.

I'm using this gengradd.dll

--- Quote ---8-15-20 11:14a        66,100      0 a---  gengradd.dll
--- End quote ---

I also have 'SET C1=GENGRADD,SBFILTER' on the config.sys.

I had also set 128MB of video memory on the guest VM, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Regards

Neil Waldhauer:
How do you get 1980 x 1080 resolution with GenGradd? On my Virtual Box, I only see non-widescreen resolutions offered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version