Author Topic: Run IBM OS/2 on Android using Limbo PC Emulator  (Read 31688 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Run IBM OS/2 on Android using Limbo PC Emulator
« on: April 16, 2021, 06:37:49 pm »
Hi

I just noticed on social networks this YouTube Video.
- Run IBM OS/2 on Android using Limbo PC Emulator

The author doesn't not seems experienced with OS/2, but it is interesting that he experimented doing this.

Limbo PC Emulator is based in QEMU.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:40:08 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Run IBM OS/2 on Android using Limbo PC Emulator
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 03:45:00 am »
Hi Martin,

Interesting I might try something like that on one of my tablets.

Another point, it would be nice if we managed to get an updated version of QEMU that runs on OS/2 - the old version doesn't like my new hardware.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 05:37:28 am »
I just took a quick look at the latest QEMU, it would take work getting it to compile. For example, the configure script is hand written by Fabrice Bellard, so probably not too different from FFmpeg's configure but definitely no OS/2 support currently.
Perhaps if I get bored, I'll see if I can get it to compile, but right off, running configure dies with "ERROR: main directory cannot contain spaces nor colons" so it doesn't like that our sh's PWD returns the drive letter along with the current directory.
Guess the first step would be to find the patches that were used for the last port.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:01:47 am »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 11:46:11 am »
Hi Dave,

It would be good if you did manage to port QEMU I could then stop having several computers running at once ;)

There are the zip files for the version that used to work for me on https://ecsoft2.org/qemu  it has a patches dir but since it is from 2009 I don't know if they would be of any use with the present version.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 07:39:16 pm »
I just took a quick look at the latest QEMU, it would take work getting it to compile. For example, the configure script is hand written by Fabrice Bellard, so probably not too different from FFmpeg's configure but definitely no OS/2 support currently.
Perhaps if I get bored, I'll see if I can get it to compile, but right off, running configure dies with "ERROR: main directory cannot contain spaces nor colons" so it doesn't like that our sh's PWD returns the drive letter along with the current directory.
Guess the first step would be to find the patches that were used for the last port.

A newer QEMU would be really interesting IMHO. Also this PC emulator could be interesting to test and work on ArcaOS NLS, which I'm working on but HORRIBLY slowly due to work and many other issues (personal life). I'll give it a try.

Mentore

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 12:09:41 am »
@Dave - porting Qemu might be interesting - any old patches would definitely help. I'm pretty busy right now but sing out if you want me to take a look...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 12:51:35 am »
It looks like the patches are a good start, and some of them I would never have come up with. Even the original 0.11.0 port was missing a lot of functionality, audio (SDL), network, physical device such as CD, USB, Kernel mode driver, etc.
I'll try building the 0.11.0 first I guess.
@Ivan, what problems were you having?

Bernhard Pöttinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:59:45 am »
having an actual qemu would be very nice. I have managed to run OS/2 4/3/2.1, FreeDOS and Windows 95 on our old qemu. networking does not work; with "user" - networking I get IP addresses but I cannot connect to any service; I think something is broken in the network emulation.

best regards
Bernhard

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 09:10:21 am »
Agreeing to the sentiment shared here. QEMU is much less clunky as opposed to VirtualBox, if we could have a build with working audio (and maybe even networking), it would unlock a whole world of potential for many of us who run ArcaOS as a daily driver on one or more of our main machines.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 09:47:57 am »
Quickly looking, it seems the networking consisted of stubs so it would compile and seem to work without working.
kLIBC has improved a lot since this port and the porter was obviously used to EMX so may have missed things. Ideally things just work.
I'm having problems just displaying the gitlab page, probably going to have to clone the git tree on Linux, it looks big.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:28 pm »
Hi Dave,

For me moving over to multi core processors with built in graphics resulted in a total system lockup, big reset button time.  After the fifth lockup I resurrected one of my old comps and it ran on there with no problems as it had before.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 08:58:13 am »
Sorry to bump the thread, I just wanted to find out if there have been any potential updates on this front?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 04:13:04 pm »
Not really, the build requirements don't currently exist on our platform, namely Ninja, which works sorta like make.
It's also 1.4 GB's of source.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 09:38:09 pm »
Not really, the build requirements don't currently exist on our platform, namely Ninja, which works sorta like make.
It's also 1.4 GB's of source.

Ah shucks, it did seem too good to be easily possible honestly. Thanks for looking into it anyway, perhaps we'll get a new native x86 emulator in the future... 'til then it's back to Virtualbox  :P