Author Topic: QT5 Runtime  (Read 13498 times)

ivan

• View Profile
QT5 Runtime
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:28:08 pm »
Maybe I am not looking in the right place but I can't find the QT5 runtime package.

I assume there has to be one, we do have one for QT4.   Since most developers want to show their ability and would have assembled one as soon as possible if only to show off what they can do  BUT the question is where is it hiding.

Don't tell me that I have to download a load of programming junk that I will never use just to get bits from each package that might eventually allow me to put together a QT5 runtime, that is just stupidity.

Rant over.  Having spent the last few hours looking and finding a blank wall I am beginning to wonder just where OS/2 is going.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: QT5 Runtime
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 07:11:16 pm »
Hi ivan,

'yum list qt5*' will return a whole bunch of RPM packages...I'm sure somewhere in there is the runtime...I haven't looked at them myself quite yet.

Heck, 'yum list qt5*base*' shows the following:

Code: [Select]
[G:\]yum list qt5*base*
Loaded plugins: changelog, downloadonly, ps, replace, verify
Available Packages
qt5-qtbase.i686                           5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-common.noarch                  5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-debuginfo.i686                 5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-devel.i686                     5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-examples.i686                  5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-gui.i686                       5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-private-devel.i686             5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel
qt5-qtbase-static.i686                    5.13.1-1.oc00              netlabs-rel

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:30:29 pm »
yum install qt5
If you already have simplebrowser running, you already have QT5 installed.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 11:16:45 pm »
Hi Dariusz,

Been there , done that no joy - I do not want or need umpteen *.h files or other junk which I know not what to do with,  I just want a simple runtime package like that for QT4.

@ Neil,

Sorry , don't have that running because there is no set of required DLLs available - I just want a simple zip with all the necessary DLLs, is that too much to ask?  Will accept a .wpi or as a last resort a .rpm.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 11:34:28 pm »
Been there , done that no joy - I do not want or need umpteen *.h files
Not true. I just have 1 file in my tree:
   G:\usr\include\python2.7\pyconfig.h

or other junk which I know not what to do with,  I just want a simple runtime package like that for QT4.
.. and I just want to have a system I can work with.

Sorry Ivan, there's just one way that's officially supported. Go that or take the time to create your own distribution.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 12:50:03 am »
Out of Dariusz's list, just ignore the *-devel* and also the static. Likewise with any other packages.
Unluckily, especially with the web stuff, there are multiple packages required and Bitwise is not getting paid to get together a runtime package and don't seem interested in anything beyond the RPM's.
You are welcome to put one together if it is that important to you.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 07:29:37 pm »
yum install qt5
If you already have simplebrowser running, you already have QT5 installed.
Hi

I'm testing a fresh ArcaOS 5.0.6 VM and I also think that "yum install qt5" is like the easy way to install the Qt5 Runtime.
But making this fresh install I also noticed that there a big number of packages that have different version on the netlabs-exp repository from the regular repo. Maybe some specific application will require the the exp libraries.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 09:53:59 pm »
Ahh, that's all totally bull. You do rpm and all is going well. Well, rpm needs a list for yum which tells yum what to do. So what's the problem to give that list in ascii? They didn't complain when I send money as a contribution for the development of QT, so is it too much to listen to you customers who did donate money? The totally QT download is a big package with lots of stuff for the trashcan. How difficult is it to give an readme file with what files you need, what files are for some other purpose. Really, this is beyond me.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:09 pm »
Hasn't the contained chkdll32 worked for you? Here's what I get and you can see that I haven't tried it:
epm: C:\ > G:\DEV\BIN\CHKDLL32.EXE "I:\Download\connect\0_mozilla\qtwebtest5_4\simplebrowser.exe"
Loading DLL 'libcx0' --> G:\USR\LIB\LIBCX0.DLL.
Loading DLL 'libcn0' --> G:\USR\LIB\LIBCN0.DLL.
Loading DLL 'stdcpp6' --> G:\USR\LIB\STDCPP6.DLL.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Core' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5Core'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5CORE' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Wdgt' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5Wdgt'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5WDGT' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5WebW' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5WebW'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5WEBW' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Gui' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5Gui'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5GUI' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5Net' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5Net'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5NET' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'Qt5WebC' --> NOT loaded!
Unable to load DLL 'Qt5WebC'.  DosLoadModule returned: 2
OS/2 reports 'QT5WEBC' contributed to the failure.
Loading DLL 'gcc1' --> G:\USR\LIB\GCC1.DLL.

epm: C:\ >

So the list for simplebrowser.exe might be:
libcx0 libcn0 stdcpp6 Qt5Core Qt5Wdgt Qt5WebW Qt5Gui Qt5Net Qt5WebC

plus access to the experimental netlabs.org repository.

Anything more to add?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 04:45:47 am »
plus access to the experimental netlabs.org repository.

Anything more to add?

There's a few other supporting packages. Off the top of my head, ffmpeg-libs and the newest ICU, both also need the corresponding legacy libs packages installed as well for older software such as Firefox. There's more which I can't remember right now.

The problem right now is that it is all under active development. I watch some of the issue trackers and it is not uncommon for other packages to need updates to fix the simple browser's test suite.
This is the problem with a Qt5 runtime package or even a readme listing all the needed packages, currently it is in a state of flux, so a readme might need frequent updating, likewise with a runtime package. Went through this with Firefox, it just became harder and harder to keep up with the packages as they keep changing. Even now things like ffmpeg-libs needs changing to ffmpeg-legacy-libs or such. ICU too. Then there are packages that should work but make the browser crash such as the updated NSPR4 and NSS packages, where the simplest might be to copy the older DLLs into the program directory.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 04:49:22 am »
ivan, Joop,

Head on over to the GitHub HOME for QT5 => https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qtbase-os2

Scroll down a tad, you have the option to d/l the ZIP files as well.

The Wiki itself (with all the gory details, or the "goodies", it all depends on how you look at it and what in particular you are looking for) is HERE => https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qt5-os2/wiki

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 05:50:55 am »
For Ivan's case, it might be enough to run chk4dll on a system with rpm/yum and the target application installed, then parse the output into a list of files to be zipped. You could automate that process with Rexx.

I can't really see the developer being bothered to do that, but someone who wants to make a non-rpm/yum version could do so without much trouble. Just run yum update and then use chk4dll and your own Rexx script to recreate the distribution.

Although, as Dave Yeo points out, you might have to update as the rpm repository changes. But that only happens twice per day. You could recreate the distribution every twelve hours and you'd be good.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 11:02:22 am »
How difficult is it to give an readme file with what files you need, what files are for some other purpose. Really, this is beyond me.
I would suggest you create such files and then inform us about your findings.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 06:36:50 pm »
ivan, Joop,

Head on over to the GitHub HOME for QT5 => https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qtbase-os2

Scroll down a tad, you have the option to d/l the ZIP files as well.

I downloaded those files, but there are heavenly polluted. Still in all files for compiling, perl scripts from the original. What should I do with .dbg files? As far as I can imagine you can omit the directory "include". What are .pc files? The directory "mkspecs" is not for us when you are not in for compiling. And the list is going on.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 07:05:43 pm »
I too have downloaded all the QT5 rpm files and unpacked them and found a few DLLs but now according to Neil we enter DLL hell where one DLL will work with one program but no others.

I started out trying to run the latest version of Tea-60.0.3-1 which appears to have gone from QT4 to QT5.  I eventually found the missing DLLs (not mentioned in the zip file) whereupon it threw a wabblie and refused to work - I assume that is because a DLL has changed from when the OS/2 version was produced NOT GOOD.