OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Most Recently Opened Document - technical feasibilty / design discussion

(1/7) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Martin,

Can't help you with the questions you posed, but I'd like to piggy back off of the topic you started and ask the following question: what WPS class would need to be extended/replaced in order to create a "Most Recently Opened Documents" object which literally shows a list of documents (should have a user adjustable setting to control how many are shown) there were most recently opened.

In short, I wish there was an easy way to re-open the same doc I had just looked at, withouth me having to go off fishing for it once again.

I suppose this would be a Folder like object, but it really would not have any persistent objects (the previously opened Documents) present there, instead maybe shadows could represent each one?

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on May 02, 2021, 10:14:22 pm ---what WPS class would need to be extended/replaced in order to create a "Most Recently Opened Documents" object which literally shows a list of documents (should have a user adjustable setting to control how many are shown) there were most recently opened.

--- End quote ---
...that's a good question.  ;D

Regards

Lars:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on May 02, 2021, 10:22:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on May 02, 2021, 10:14:22 pm ---what WPS class would need to be extended/replaced in order to create a "Most Recently Opened Documents" object which literally shows a list of documents (should have a user adjustable setting to control how many are shown) there were most recently opened.

--- End quote ---
...that's a good question.  ;D

Regards

--- End quote ---
It would most likely not be derived from WPFolder because that would mean that You'd need a REAL folder called "Most recently used documents" or so which you surely do not want to have. But maybe WPFileSystem. That is abstract as it cannot neither create a real folder not a real file.
But likely the best would be WPAbstract. A class derived from WPAbstract can save stuff in OS2.INI as a default, transparently as object properties, without writing new code.
It can create any view it deems appropriate, including a frame window with a container (listing all those most recently used files).

Andreas Schnellbacher:
[Most Recently Opened Documents]

Dariusz, the problem is not the WPS object, but the functionality.

in Windows, all apps write to the same huge registry. There exists the 'Recent File List' key that is used by many applications. I'm happy that in OS/2, all applications usually use their own ini file. But there's also no standardized way to save the recent files. Some even use text ini files. (Additionally, some apps have multiple file lists for different purposes). But to allow for such a system function, all applications must implement history or recent file lists first and the system has to know where these apps store it and how.

Even if you consider to include only apps with that feature, you have to know where the apps store this and how. The ini files could be found still easily, but the relevant ini apps and keys are app-dependent. So, no chance without a huge list with that information.

Start first with having such a feature implemented for the apps you regulary use.

Andi B.:
Thinking loud - would be intercepting DosFileClose with compare of 'known' extensions and 'last write' compare an option? Of course couldn't be done in wps context but on file system driver level?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version