Public Discussions > General Discussion

Installing eCS on a EEEPC 701 with USB

<< < (2/2)

Jacopo Del Vivo:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on May 06, 2021, 01:00:20 am ---eCS definitely boots from a USB DVD drive.

Unless it is a museum piece, ArcaOS does not support the wireless feature of your laptop.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on May 06, 2021, 01:38:38 am ---Hi Jacopo, the problem is that after using the BIOS to boot the USB stick, eCS has no way to read the USB stick until it is installed, a chicken and egg problem.
ArcaOS gets around this by creating a ram disk and installing a minimal OS to that and then running the install from it.
As Neil said, another option is a USB DVD drive.

--- End quote ---
Hi, thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay! Yeah I ended up buying a USB DVD drive.
But before that, I did a lot of research and came to know about ramfsos2, but well, I didn't really understand how to run my own eCS "installer" with it
Regarding the wireless features, I found out that the genMU test package supports it (or at least, the readme does say so) gonna try and see how it goes :)

p.s. the wireless card in question is an atheros ar956x (vendor id 168c, deviceid 0036)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version