OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

A new build of QEMU for OS/2? - Seeking interest for bounty

(1/2) > >>

Ibrahim Hakeem:
Continuance from this thread. This new thread is for consistency's sake as the topic of the discussion had changed.

There has been some discussion for development of a new version of QEMU for OS/2 and a bounty for it being made. Here is the quote from my post proposing the bounty:

--- Quote ---If anybody may be interested, I am willing to start a bounty for a well-rounded release of QEMU under the following conditions:
>Stable enough for everyday use
>Smooth Windows 95/98 emulation
>Audio, preferably SB16 compatible emulation
>Semi-decent video support (I.E, can run something like Flight Simulator 98 at low-mid settings with at least 30 to 40fps)
>A reliable GUI for configuring and launching VMs

Effectively, something that's going to be solid for low-mid range Win9x gaming.

I have a hunch this will most likely be 2.4.x or earlier. Once again like others have said, there's no need to build a newer version that's going to have more compilation related headaches - especially when modern Linux distros are still going off 2.4.x code without any complaint. I understand this will require more effort than a simple compile n' go situation especially with the desired specifications listed, but I believe there to be very viable use-case for a new and reasonably stable release of Qemu for our platform

The goal wouldn't be to replace Virtualbox, but to get up to speed for one ArcaOS's aims of being a good platform for DOS and early Windows emulation, especially in lieu of ArcaOS 5.1 hopefully being on the horizon. It would be really cool to have more usable and up-to-date software for 90's era x86 emulation. Plus I'm sure many of us still wish that this wasn't a hoax  :P

--- End quote ---

If there is enough interest for this idea, I sincerely hope we can make something of it for our platform's sake.

To get things started, I am willing to contribute 100USD to the pool which I will additionally match as a donation to Bitwise Works.

Thank you for your consideration  :)

Dave Yeo:
Seems 2.4.1 might be a good start. To get the ball rolling, https://github.com/OS2World/qemu-os2

Dr.waka:
Forgot to mention, there is one open source cross platform accelerator that is compatible with qemu:

https://github.com/intel/haxm

No idea if it can help.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Nicolas Wells on May 12, 2021, 03:59:52 pm ---Forgot to mention, there is one open source cross platform accelerator that is compatible with qemu:

https://github.com/intel/haxm

No idea if it can help.

--- End quote ---

Still the problem of the OS/2 Kernel missing something that allows using VT. The OS4 kernel does support it. As a beta tester, I'm supposed to stay well away from the OS4 kernel as its legality is questionable and Arca Noae doesn't want to upset IBM.

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on May 12, 2021, 04:39:28 pm ---... stay well away from the OS4 kernel as its legality is questionable and Arca Noae doesn't want to upset IBM.

--- End quote ---
Hi Dave

For me, to stop questioning the legality of OS4 Kernel, I'm using the US copyright law section 107.
If you are using OS4 for non-profit research or education it is under fair use.

For further discussion on this subject, let's open different thread.

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version