Author Topic: A new build of QEMU for OS/2? - Seeking interest for bounty  (Read 5941 times)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
Continuance from this thread. This new thread is for consistency's sake as the topic of the discussion had changed.

There has been some discussion for development of a new version of QEMU for OS/2 and a bounty for it being made. Here is the quote from my post proposing the bounty:

If anybody may be interested, I am willing to start a bounty for a well-rounded release of QEMU under the following conditions:
>Stable enough for everyday use
>Smooth Windows 95/98 emulation
>Audio, preferably SB16 compatible emulation
>Semi-decent video support (I.E, can run something like Flight Simulator 98 at low-mid settings with at least 30 to 40fps)
>A reliable GUI for configuring and launching VMs

Effectively, something that's going to be solid for low-mid range Win9x gaming.

I have a hunch this will most likely be 2.4.x or earlier. Once again like others have said, there's no need to build a newer version that's going to have more compilation related headaches - especially when modern Linux distros are still going off 2.4.x code without any complaint. I understand this will require more effort than a simple compile n' go situation especially with the desired specifications listed, but I believe there to be very viable use-case for a new and reasonably stable release of Qemu for our platform

The goal wouldn't be to replace Virtualbox, but to get up to speed for one ArcaOS's aims of being a good platform for DOS and early Windows emulation, especially in lieu of ArcaOS 5.1 hopefully being on the horizon. It would be really cool to have more usable and up-to-date software for 90's era x86 emulation. Plus I'm sure many of us still wish that this wasn't a hoax  :P

If there is enough interest for this idea, I sincerely hope we can make something of it for our platform's sake.

To get things started, I am willing to contribute 100USD to the pool which I will additionally match as a donation to Bitwise Works.

Thank you for your consideration  :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: A new build of QEMU for OS/2? - Seeking interest for bounty
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:55:46 pm »
Seems 2.4.1 might be a good start. To get the ball rolling, https://github.com/OS2World/qemu-os2

Dr.waka

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:59:52 pm »
Forgot to mention, there is one open source cross platform accelerator that is compatible with qemu:

https://github.com/intel/haxm

No idea if it can help.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:39:28 pm »
Forgot to mention, there is one open source cross platform accelerator that is compatible with qemu:

https://github.com/intel/haxm

No idea if it can help.

Still the problem of the OS/2 Kernel missing something that allows using VT. The OS4 kernel does support it. As a beta tester, I'm supposed to stay well away from the OS4 kernel as its legality is questionable and Arca Noae doesn't want to upset IBM.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:07:40 pm »
... stay well away from the OS4 kernel as its legality is questionable and Arca Noae doesn't want to upset IBM.
Hi Dave

For me, to stop questioning the legality of OS4 Kernel, I'm using the US copyright law section 107.
If you are using OS4 for non-profit research or education it is under fair use.

For further discussion on this subject, let's open different thread.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:12:30 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 12:22:28 am »
With low-end Windows 9x 3d gaming being a goal wouldn't it be feasible, easier even, to just bypass VT all together? Without VT, I find that I can properly use Linux, Windows XP and to a limited "down-tuned" extent even 7 with no major performance losses on Virtualbox with the stock kernel. Keep in mind, it's not like this is going to be the next VBox so I doubt that degree of performance is even necessary.

Besides (putting technical legality aside as a whole can of worms), as good a platform as the OS4 Kernel can be, I personally feel it would be better to have it running on our stock kernel for the sake of stability and to an extent, ease-of-use.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 01:08:41 am »
@Ibrahim, the VT isn't necessary, just nice to have. As for 3D graphics, I wonder if it needs host video driver support or can be brute forced.

@Martin, yes, I don't really see much issue with using the OS4 kernel, but Lewis seems fairly worried about upsetting IBM so I'll err on the cautious side. As Ibrahim sayss, things should work on the stock kernel, even ones not distributed by Arca Noae, though reboots will be needed more often to recover memory.