OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

How to reverse a failed driver installation

(1/5) > >>

clh333:
I need to reverse a failed video driver installation which has resulted in a general protection fault (trap: 000d, errc: 0000, exception SINGLEQ$) that prevents the machine from booting.  I am completely inexperienced ("noob") with OS/2 but I installed V3 on a '586 VLB machine and had a running system until I tried to install a video driver for the Genoa Windows VGA 24 VLB video card.  I found the driver on the Hobie(?) site and got halfway through the install before it failed.  The install mentioned saving the original files but didn't say what they were named or where they were saved.

I have a boxed set of OS/2 2.1 with disks and a manual.  With the help of these materials I am able to at least get the machine to a command prompt and access the C: drive, but from there I am unsure how to proceed, not knowing enough about the file structure or command syntax to search for most recently modified files.

Suggestions welcome, thanks.
-CH-

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hey Charles,

Probably the quickest way to get back to a working system is by forcing the VGA mode at boot-up.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Re-boot the machine
2) when the white rectangle pops-up in the top LEFT corner of the screen (during early boot stage) you hit ALT+F1
3) you now should be looking at a menu that has several choices, select option 'V' I think (if I remember correctly), this will force the box to book in VGA mode

Try it and let us know what happens.

clh333:
As you described:  When the white rectangle appeared in the upper left corner of the screen, pressing ALT-F1 brought up a menu of options; one of which, "V" forced the machine to reinstall VGA.  The machine has done so successfully and I now have a desktop on the display.

Thank you indeed for your assistance.

The Genoa card uses the Cirrus Logic CL-GD5426 chipset, according to the information I found, but apparently there is another software tool to identify the monitor that is on a utility disk.  As the monitor I have attached to the machine is a Viewsonic LCD I don't think I would have found it anyway.  I do have other CRTs, however.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to Warp 4.52 but I think I'll get a little more familiar with the OS first.  Thanks again for your help.

-CH-

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Here is something else you could try: head on back to Hobbes and d/l the SNAP video drivers. Here is the direct link to the ZIP file => https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/video/snap-os2-3.1.8.zip

Given that your video chipset is an older one I'm not sure if that last public version of SNAP supports it, but the README will most likely point it out.

The benefit with these drivers is that they simply have additional capabilities to help you deal with different monitor formats, resolutions, etc.

Worst case if SNAP does not work, is that you repeat the same VGA Recovery process that you had just gone through.

Lars:
I am not sure if OS/2 2.1 supports GRADD video drivers.
I remember that OS/2 2.0 initially only supported 16-bit video drivers ! Boy, that is such a long time ago..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version