Author Topic: How to reverse a failed driver installation  (Read 11805 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: How to reverse a failed driver installation
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 07:11:49 pm »
Hi Charles

Now I get you are using Warp 3 with no fixpacks.  Since you are back with VGA support and no trap error I guess you know need to get a decent resolution on your Warp 3 box.

I'm guessing yours is a hobbie machine and it is not an vital machine used on some industry. Otherwise it is very important to backup the full HDD image, just in case.

I would also vote to get "snap-os2-3.1.8.zip" (Latest freeware) - (or even sdd7_b38.zip - older) installed there but the "no fixpacks" in Warp 3 may be an issue.

If I don't recall it wrong the latest US Warp 3 fixpacks is Fixpack 40. ... I don't recall if FP43 was only for Warp 4 Server. I also have this quick article on how to install those IBM fixpacks from the HDD.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

clh333

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »
Yes, the VLB machine is part of a collection of old iron.  The reason for using the Genoa card is because it is designed for a VESA system (has an extended slot on the motherboard) as is the DTC SCSI controller**.  I brought it out because I needed to use the PC to format a disk for use in another machine.  The OS install was performed in 2019 and the BIOS backup battery had gone flat from disuse.  Once I got the geometry set and booted to the OS I found the display "wavy".  It turned out to be a blown capacitor in the PSU; replaced PSU.

I have spent most of my working life using machines from the DR - CP/M and MS-DOS continuum.  I am fairly conversant with that topic but was curious to see what OS/2 could do.  I'm still making baby steps; I have found some resources, however, and I thank once again those who have responded.

May I ask, regarding fixpacks:  Must they be applied in order or is the latest an accumulation of all the previous issues?

-CH-

** Drive A: is 1.4MB 3.5 floppy, drive B: is 1.2 Mb 5.25 floppy, drive C: is 120 Mb Viking SCSI, drive D: is CDR.  Also on board,  ISA cards: Everex ser/par I/O, Intel 8/16 LAN card, SoundBlaster, SIIG I/O card.  VESA motherboards typically did not carry I/O ports or supporting hardware - you added your own.  As I can not invoke the system information utility, except for the drives  I have no idea whether these are recognized or configured by the OS.  Of particular interest are the serial ports.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 10:45:53 pm »
Hi Dariusz, before monitors supported EDID, you really did have to set things up manually for your monitor, and depending on the monitor specs you entered, the screen object would have shown the possibilities I assume. I only had a VGA monitor back in the Warp v3 days and don't remember the screen object...

Yikes...you are right...I do recall those days after all. My first OS/2 video card (which would have been OS/2 v3) was actually a Cirrus Logic shipset card...but heck, those drivers are long gone from my machine.

Charles,
Dave's suggestion is probably the best-fitting driver package you're going to find. I'd give that a shot...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 01:17:44 am »
Hi Charles, the fixpaks are cumulative, so just the latest is needed, though at one point IBM split the device drivers into their own fixpak and the 2nd device driver fixpak had the USB support removed, so if you want USB, you need to install the 1st and then the 2nd device driver fixpak.
You really need at least fixpak 17 for the SIQ fix and the device driver fixpak will give support for much newer hardware like Hard drives, though that is easy to add by itself
There are also fixes for other stuff such as the network stack, which can actually be used to getting networking (beyond the internet kit) working on plain OS/2 V3 or earlier.

As for your video card, you might be able to easily find a newer VLB card then you have. Even the next generation Cirrus Logic looks better.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 01:23:31 am »
I would also vote to get "snap-os2-3.1.8.zip" (Latest freeware) - (or even sdd7_b38.zip - older) installed there but the "no fixpacks" in Warp 3 may be an issue.

As I said, SNAP doesn't support that old card, here's what is supported,
Code: [Select]
0 1013:00D0 cirr546x.drv.Jul.26.2000.20.24.21   ; Cirrus Logic Laguna 5462
0 1013:00D4 cirr546x.drv.Jul.26.2000.20.24.21   ; Cirrus Logic Laguna 5464
0 1013:00D6 cirr546x.drv.Jul.26.2000.20.24.21   ; Cirrus Logic Laguna 5465
0 1013:00A8 cirrus.drv.Jul.11.2003.18.37.08     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434
0 1013:00AC cirrus.drv.Jul.11.2003.18.37.08     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD5436
0 1013:00A0 cirrus.drv.Jul.11.2003.18.37.08     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD5440
0 1013:00B8 cirrus.drv.Jul.11.2003.18.37.08     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446
0 1013:FF0C cirrus.drv.Aug.07.2001.17.59.27     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD7543 LCD
0 1013:0040 cirrus.drv.Mar.10.2000.13.04.48     ; Cirrus Logic CL-GD7555 LCD
Taken from x:\os2\drivers\snap\graphics.bpd

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 04:31:14 am »
For Warp 3 I definitely recommend installing Fixpak 40 - it is the last officially released Fixpak for Warp 3.

If you are running the blue-spine version of  Warp 3, or if you are running the red spine but don't have the WinOS/2 sub-system installed, then it is possible to install Fixpak 43 for Warp Server 4.  Warp Server 4 was based on the Blue Spine version of the  Warp 3 code base (in other words, it came with  the WinOS/2 stuff), and while the *client* version of Warp 3's last Fixpak was Fixpak 40, the Server version received a few more fixpaks, up to Fixpak 43.

In order to be able to able to install anything above Fixpak 40 on the client OS you'll need to grab a little utility from Hobbes which will tweak the syslevel files so that the fixpak installer thinks it is installing to a version of Warp Server.  Search hobbes for:

b120.zip

and that'll do the needful.  If you go above Fixpak 40 then you'll also need to install the device driver fixpak.  It is then that they separated the device driver updates from the main fixpak to make them a separate "device driver" fixpak.  I think the latest DD fixpak that'll install on Warp 3 is Device Driver fixpak 2.

As for the Cirrus Logic card, it appears there is a device driver for that video card on Hobbes.  If you search for:

CL_54xx_041.zip

I don't have such a card so I can't really try this, but a lot of those drivers had to actually be installed with a utility called ddinstall (or maybe it was ddinstal - I can't remember and I'm not sitting at my Warp machine right now, so I'm just going by memory).  There is probably a readme in the video card zip file.

Chances are the video driver won't work on a stock install of Warp 3 with no fixpak installed.  Many of those device drivers needed at least Fixpak 17, although admittedly 17 was a very buggy fixpak - I'd just go right for FP40 and skip all the others.  FP 40 was (is) extremely stable and adds a lot to Warp 3 (including the SIQ fix, the 32 bit chkdsk for HPFS, the ability to use Win32s Version 1.25, the ability to use GRADD and Scitech Display Doctor, an early version of Open32, and more).  I still have a few Warp 3 - FP 40 machines running that I maintain and they are rock solid stable.