Author Topic: Hobbes (Files) Reoganization  (Read 142651 times)

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Hobbes (Files) Reoganization
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 01:11:38 am »
In this case why keep such old antique versions of Uniaud ? For other drivers I can imagen you keep them.
It a long time ago but I think it was in 2014 or 2015 David Azarewicz made some pretty import fixes.
One of them was in the audio buffer management of UNIAUD16.SYS. But its to long ago, going by what I remember.
All Uniaud builds support the all of the older hardware as well.  So why distribute old stuff that can pontially crash a users computer ?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2021, 03:26:38 am »
Hi.
In this case why keep such old antique versions of Uniaud ? For other drivers I can imagen you keep them.
....So why distribute old stuff that can pontially crash a users computer ?

...The question seems to be a bit theoretical since more and more ancient drivers are uploaded. Even when someone prefers the original SPEA-V7 driver, I don't guess what's the benefit of keeping the older 2.02 release.

I will like to repeat again the rationale for keeping old drivers.

The OS/2 community is not only composed by people that want to run OS/2 and ArcaOS on the latest and better hardware. Recently there had been a lot of hobbyist that are running older OS/2 on old hardware with old cards and old peripherals. Even from time to time an industrial user of OS/2 shows up that need old driver for older OS/2 for their machines. Keeping old drivers allow them to use OS/2 the way the like and need.  Remember that sometimes newer drivers (of the same device and developer) remove the OS/2 2.x or Warp 3 support in favor of the latest OS/2, so it is important to preserve every version of OS/2 drivers for people not using the latest OS/2 version.

If someone points me to a driver that can be dangerous (like bad file system driver that can wipe all the hard drive), I will request to be removed from hobbes and preserve it somewhere else with the proper warnings to the end user.

When I upload an old driver to hobbes, I try to put on the short description the name, the version and the date. I name it similar as  the latest one but with lower version (or earlier date) so the user can easily identify and try the latest first, and later download the older one if he needs it.

What the discussion should be, is if these old drivers should be kept on Hobbes or not.
The discussion started with UniAud and the suggestions are:
1) Only keep the latest one.
2) Keep the main releases of Uniaud, not the development or preview releases.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:35:49 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2021, 09:57:12 am »

keep all development or preview releases in archive sub dir

rumors said  that early builds of uniaud  supported multi channel sound  on some hardware. current uniaud has lost this ability  -  so old builds  may help to find out when this ability went away.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 02:32:46 pm »
Hi
rumors said  that early builds of uniaud  supported multi channel sound  on some hardware.
If it can be possible I would like to confirm or deny that rumor.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2021, 02:35:21 pm »

Hi
rumors said  that early builds of uniaud  supported multi channel sound  on some hardware.
If it can be possible I would like to confirm or deny that rumor.

I'm not sure that will be look so good on hobbes. I'm still contemplating the idea to have two repositories, one with the full archive with all versions of drivers and software (maybe at OS2Site, and an extra public backup), and just retain the latest on hobbes.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:15:25 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2021, 05:47:35 pm »
Hi Martin,

I get the impression that you are your own worst enemy regarding Hobbes. (I am assuming it is you that is adding all the ancient drivers/programs for which there is no hardware).

With all the old junk cluttering up incoming it is almost impossible to see any new input unless one is looking for a specific item.  Unfortunately, I can't see a simple way round the problem unless you can talk NMSU and the person that looks after the OS/2 section to create a 'incoming\archive' section where all the old drivers/programs can be posted to, so leaving 'incoming' clear for new material.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2021, 06:22:01 pm »
I get the impression that you are your own worst enemy regarding Hobbes. (I am assuming it is you that is adding all the ancient drivers/programs for which there is no hardware).
Indeed. I don't have any special access to hobbes. If you want to organize/fix/move/add descriptions/etc you need to go to the upload to incoming process. But wait, I'm uploading ancient drivers, but mostly there are the same drivers that are already there, that I'm just reorganizing, adding the version number and date.

It may be an issue for people who search the incoming folder to check for software updates, which I guess it is not what the incoming folder is intended for.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2021, 06:26:07 pm »
Let's recapitulate.

What should be done with UniAud on hobbes? the suggestions are:
1) Only keep the latest one. (Have a different repository, os2site, netlabs, archive.org for the older versions)
3) Keep older released on a different directory. Maybe like /old like OS2Site has.

I'm still leaning for #1, since there are people that think that hobbes should be for the "Modern OS/2 User" and some other site should have all the "Legacy Driver".

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2021, 02:27:31 am »
Option 2 would probably be the best choice. If you are interested in having a mirror of Hobbes oriented to the modern OS/2 user, it's important to acknowledge that the latest UniAud is not always a one-size-fits-all solution and that certain systems need a specific release in order to have working audio at all. By that definition, it can't be considered legacy if it is a core component for, by our use-case, a modern platform.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:30:39 am by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
Hi

About Uniaud, I will keep thinking about it for some days.

For the moment I'm reorganizing and relocating the easy stuff that is obliviously located on the wrong place, like just over "/pub/os2/apps",  "/pub/os2/util" and "/pub/os2/games".

Where should I put pdfmerge? I'm not sure if it goes to "/pub/os2/apps/wp"

Also PMPrintf seems to be a different versions in different locations. I guess the right place is "/pub/os2/dev/util".

Remember that there is a backup of hobbes (2021-05) on a couple locations.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 03:30:18 pm »
Also PMPrintf seems to be a different versions in different locations. I guess the right place is "/pub/os2/dev/util".
Yes. And this was always the desired directory. (
Code: [Select]
"Proposed directory  /pub/os2/dev/util"). No clue why it ended up in wrong places.

Harald Kamm

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2021, 09:42:59 pm »
Sorry to interfere in the debate. I appreciate the idea to create and serve an OS/2 file archive. But what I really don't understand is why Hobbes is flooded with outdated files the had been deleted at the time creating much confusion.

Best, Harald

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 11:45:42 pm »

rumors said  that early builds of uniaud  supported multi channel sound  on some hardware. current uniaud has lost this ability  -  so old builds  may help to find out when this ability went away.

Best I can tell the only driver (on which UNIAUD is based) is the SB live driver that supported multi channel support.
The minstall setup for UNIAUD has always been for single channel best I tell.
You need to setup MMOS2 and tell it how many streams an audio device supports. Can anybody confirm this ? Or have I got this wrong.

The point with MMOS2 is that all hardware that is supported in the old versions is supported in the the latest version of UNIAUD.
And all UNIAUD versions will require Warp 4 + Fixpak 13 and higher. Has a 32 bit driver.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 03:27:44 am »
Sorry to interfere in the debate. I appreciate the idea to create and serve an OS/2 file archive. But what I really don't understand is why Hobbes is flooded with outdated files the had been deleted at the time creating much confusion.

Hi Harald.

To move, rename, or improve descriptions of the hobbes files, you need to upload them to the incoming directory. For the moment I haven't get any other way to improve hobbes directly from other place.

"flooded with outdated files the had been deleted at the time", what do you mean? please specify the file.
If it is about old drivers, I already explain it in past posts (and the latest drivers I uploaded are the same that were already at hobbes with an improved name and description). If it is about software, I'm reorganizing some file and re-uploading the last version of  software that is already there, usually to move it to the right directory.

Also, for people checking the incoming directory, check also the .txt file where I put the release date of the file.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 03:43:49 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog