Author Topic: Hobbes (Files) Reoganization  (Read 142636 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Hobbes (Files) Reoganization
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2021, 10:25:49 pm »
Hi

There are several INI maintenance tools distributed over "/pub/os2/util/wps", "/pub/os2/util/system" and "/pub/os2/util/config".
I'm tempted to consolidate all the INI tools to "/pub/os2/util/config"  (Configuration editors), what do you think?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2021, 02:02:27 pm »
I think that is a good idea.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 06:10:31 pm »
Hi

I think that "/pub/os2/apps/graphics" reorg is near to be done. I still need to check some of the convert tool and I also need to test more the "/gimp" stuff with XFree86-OS2 to see if I get some idea on how to put it inside "/paint".

There are two directories that I need to explain. In the computer graphics software there are several kind of software categories, but maybe the most comments are the:
1) Raster Graphics Editors: The ones that edit bitmaps like Adobe Photoshop, The Gimp, etc
2) Vector Graphics Editors: The ones that edit vectors graphics (SVG) like Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, etc.
Since on the times of hobbes there where not defined that clear categories yet, I'm using "/Paint" for Raster and "/Draw" for Vector.
Maybe on the future those directories can be renamed on hobbes, but that is not a high priority.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 06:39:27 pm »
Should the XFree86 stuff be mixed with regular desktop programs? Same with the Windows stuff. Seems to me they should be kept separate so people don't mistakenly try to run them and get frustrated.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 07:54:29 pm »
Should the XFree86 stuff be mixed with regular desktop programs? Same with the Windows stuff. Seems to me they should be kept separate so people don't mistakenly try to run them and get frustrated.
Hi

I also share the idea that X11 software should be separated from the "/os2" folder.

For example we currently have in the main root hobbes:
Code: [Select]
- dos/
- incoming/
- java/
- multimedia/
- new/
- os2/
- windows/
Maybe it should be changed to
Code: [Select]
- dos/
- incoming/
- java/
- multimedia/
- new/
- os2/
- win16/
- win32/
- x11/

But I'm having a doubt here...
- DOS  directory is for DOS software that run on DOS and OS/2.
- Java directory is for Java software that runs on multiple OSes with JRE available and on OS/2.
- Win16 directory is for 16bit software that runs on Windows 3.1 and Win-OS2
- Win32 directory is for 32bit software that runs on Windows9x/NT and Odin.
But the XFree86 software, only runs on XFree86-OS2, it is supposed to be Unix software, but only runs on OS/2 since it is recompiled.

In my way to reason it made me stop to make a X11 directory. But I took the approach to put "X11" in the software I'm renaming (for the moment).

My other conflict is with Win32 software. There is plain Win32 software, and there is Win32 software that had been modified (odinized) to be turn into an OS/2 binary and runs with Innotek Runtime for example. The Odinized software is no longer a Win32 software  :-\

I'm still thinking about it.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:01:45 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2021, 07:58:22 pm »
Hi

I have been doing some progress reorganizing and trying to simplify "/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/".

I have a doubt on where to put the "WebCam" tools to view video that are on "/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video" and "/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/capture". Or maybe I just consolidate all on "/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/capture" to make it easy and stop thinking of a better place to locate it.

Regards. 
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2021, 08:05:24 pm »
"/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/capture" seems good.

Wendy Krieger

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2021, 12:04:58 pm »
I think Ian Manner's site has subdirectories where older versions are bunted into.

I was thinking about using a pattern like os2 itself, at least for some of it, eg /os2/mdos/winos2 or whatever, for bits to replace os/2's dos and windows stuff.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2021, 06:47:40 pm »
Hi Wendy.
I think Ian Manner's site has subdirectories where older versions are bunted into.
I'm still evaluating that. On hobbes I'm just locating the newer stuff. Once I'm done with the hobbes reorg (if I'm ever done), I will talk further to Ian to see what can we do with the full repository with new and old versions.

I was thinking about using a pattern like os2 itself, at least for some of it, eg /os2/mdos/winos2 or whatever, for bits to replace os/2's dos and windows stuff.
I'm sticking with hobbes organization for the moment. Remember we also have Java and Win32 software to organize no the structure.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2021, 06:58:00 pm »
Hi

I'm starting to reorganize the "/pub/os2/apps/internet" structure that I already told that I don't like, since "internet" is no longer a conceptual kind of network like it was on the mid 90's. Also there are many things on "/apps/internet/" that are really utilities, so I'm reorganizing some things. I prefer to re-think that category and move the applications according to what they do, independently if they are online (internet aware or internet requiered) or not.

Ex; Doom is under the game category, even if it can connect to the internet.

So, here are the questions I was avoiding:

1) Where should I put the web browsers? I was thinking to get out of the /internet/ and create a "/pub/os2/apps/webbrowser" or maybe if we still want to use that path put it on  "/pub/os2/apps/internet/webbrowser", but definitely stop using the "www" path (/pub/os2/apps/internet/www).

2) Which versions of Firefox and SeaMonkey should we keep in hobbes?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Wendy Krieger

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2021, 12:50:36 pm »
For some of us, there is a conceptial difference of what is inside the router and what is beyond the router.  This is more true when you consider some users pay by the megabyte or whatever. 

We would hope that shares made on the local network are not also shared over passers-by on the street, for example. 

For example, it might be fine to have email / browser / ftpclient under internet, and this remains true even when programs like TotalCommander can hook to the internet, while being specifically a local app.   

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2021, 04:31:32 pm »
Hi Martin, missed this.
For the name of the directory, either of your ideas seems fine.
As for which versions. I guess if you want to trim older ones, I'd keep at least the 38ESR and the 45ESR various versions as there still seems to be people who prefer SM 2.35 at least and they still work. Older versions are getting useless as they don't support new enough encryption.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2021, 06:09:10 pm »
At least, "firefox-31.8.0.en-us.os2.beta_5-wpi.wpi" still works.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2021, 01:21:40 am »
At least, "firefox-31.8.0.en-us.os2.beta_5-wpi.wpi" still works.

Good to know. Have you tried updating the letsencrypt certificate or did you just add an exception for here?
I'm inclined to keep all working browsers on Hobbes.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:28 am »
I still press "Add Exception" :)