Public Discussions > General Discussion

eCS 2.2 purchase

(1/6) > >>

badre:
Hi,
I have an IBM thinkpad T42 1.70ghz 1.5gb ram, I tested the demo cd 2.2 beta 2, it does not work, I have a black screen, I tested the demo cd beta 5 and it works very well,
is it possible to buy the eComStation 2.2 version, I believe that the final version does not exist, the last one is beta 5, it seems to me,
 or do I have to buy the eCs 2.1 version and then upgrade days in 2.2 beta 5?
I haven't tested eCs 2.1 demo cd version because I couldn't find it.
Thans in advance.

Dave Yeo:
eComstation seems to be dead and no longer for sale. What you can do is buy ArcaOS from Arca Noae, https://www.arcanoae.com, which is the successor to eComstation with many of the same developers. Highly recommended. No demo unluckily due to their license from IBM. They also offer very good support, in case of problems and it works well on my T42. Note that for the T42, APM support should be used instead of ACPI. With APM everything works on my T42 except hibernation (might also work if installed on C:)
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi badre, welcome to the forum.

I also suggest you not to buy eComStation, because it is not longer updated. ArcaOS is being actively developed and supported. It will save you a lot of time on putting OS/2 Warp 4.52 (or eComstation) up to date with the latest DLLs libraries and software that is available for the platform.

It can be also a nice exercise to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 on your T42 first, but I think you will be happier with ArcaOS.

Regards

Ibrahim Hakeem:
Seconding Martin's quote here:

--- Quote ---It can be also a nice exercise to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 on your T42 first, but I think you will be happier with ArcaOS.

--- End quote ---

It's not a bad idea to tool around with OS/2 Warp 4.52, but definitely avoid Ecomstation and go straight to ArcaOS, especially since you are already committed to spending the money on a new license. I'd personally recommend upgrading to something like a T61 or T400 if you intend on using the OS/2 platform for a longer period of time however.

Dave Yeo:
One advantage of the T42, at least mine, is working WiFi. Firefox (or SeaMonkey) take forever to start but then mostly work fine here. Not quite good enough for YouTube but close.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version