OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Closed source parts of eComStation

(1/13) > >>

Neil Waldhauer:
I'm wondering how much work there is left to leave the IBM parts of eComStation behind and going to an unencumbered product?

OS/2 Kernel
MPTS
MMOS2
Presentation Manager
WorkPlace Shell
GRADD Graphics subsystem

I'm sure I forgot a few, and there are lots of little bits that haven't ever been replaced (look inside the OS2 directory tree, but those are the big subsystems.

File and Print is largely replaced by SAMBA and CUPS.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Neil.

I tried to talk a little bit about this on the earlier posts of my blog: http://openwarp.blogspot.com

Since I'm not very sharp on this subject I tried to understand the components from "Top to down". So I think that the three components that are almost the "face" of OS/2 are:
- Workplace Shell Classes - which are based in SOM
- SOM - which depends on PM
- PM - which is the GUI library.

I think that any efforts to start with any of this three components are good... no matter how little the effort is, like replacing some PM's DLL or making a single  WPS Class.

The stuff in the backend I don't understand it well yet, I will really like to create a more detailed graphic about it. Like understanding the relation between the Kernel, Loader, Drivers and the "Control Program", "GPI" , "REXX library", etc. I'm still now sure what the "Control Program" is, or where does the "GPI" stuff goes.

I tried to create a very high level graphic of the main OS/2 architectural components.

Martin Iturbide:
Here it is the ODG (openoffice) file for the architecture graphics.

Everybody is welcome to go wild and create their own versions.

ivan:
Neil, if you can get SAMBA and/or CUPS to print over the network to a NAS based print server that requires a username and password to log in I would love to know the necessary incantations and what must be sacrificed to do so.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on December 27, 2013, 07:20:12 pm ---I'm wondering how much work there is left to leave the IBM parts of eComStation behind and going to an unencumbered product?

OS/2 Kernel
MPTS
MMOS2
Presentation Manager
WorkPlace Shell
GRADD Graphics subsystem

I'm sure I forgot a few, and there are lots of little bits that haven't ever been replaced (look inside the OS2 directory tree, but those are the big subsystems.

File and Print is largely replaced by SAMBA and CUPS.

--- End quote ---

MOre work then you want to wish for. Its realy the question if you need certain of eCS in a new OS.
For example GRADD. If you do start from scratch you could just as well desugn something new or use something from Linux.

As to reimplementing the OS2KRNL. WHat features would you like to have of the kernel ?
You would need to set much more fin gradined targets. Looking how far the voyager priject came of Netlabs.
Its certainly not going to move forward fast without a big chunk of money.

Roderick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version