Author Topic: Closed source parts of eComStation  (Read 55184 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Closed source parts of eComStation
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:45 pm »
To a lesser degree there has also been problems with people re-licencing BSD stuff as GPL and restricting the active branch.

I don't think there is a problem creating derivate work from BSD license and making it GPL.  Maybe is a specific BSD license that can not be derived into GNU GPL... any other source is welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL#Compatibility_and_multi-licensing
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2014, 02:16:26 am »
It's perfectly legal, just that the BSD developers can't use the GPL licensed patches and shouldn't even look at them at risk of being accused of plagiarizing.
Generally it is good if fixes are pushed upstream so everyone can benefit but  guess some are worried about the wrong people benefiting. There's too much politics in the licensing department.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »
Regarding the multimedia subsystem, as far as the audio portion goes it would basically be better to start from anew since the OS/2 MM implementation was the first modern MM subsystem and is starting to show its age. In 1999 or 2000 Bob from Serenity systems said that the sourece code for the MM subsystem was available for those that wanted to work on it although it was not possible to open source it, does anyone know if the source was ever made available ?

I vaguely recall sending someone a mail about it at the time and not getting an answer ....

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
Hi Olafur.

It is the first time I hear about that. (the the source code of MM subsystem was available for private use).

I don't know much about it, but maybe it can be also interesting to try to reuse some of Triton for trying to clone/improve MMOS2: http://trac.netlabs.org/v_triton

I know it is not complete, but maybe it can be useful for something.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.