Author Topic: Best 775 socket motherboard for a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield QuadCore  (Read 18899 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
I looked around on the forum but really didn't see anything.

Does anyone remember the best 775 motherboard at that time? I plan on running the latest ArcaOS and Linux on it.

1) I be using a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield Quad-Core processor with 8 GB of memory.

2) Is best to still use a X800 or X850 TX PE with SNAP accelerated. or a newer high-end card using the Panorama driver?

3) I'll only be using OS/2 and Linux (no gaming) so X850 TX PE?

And I found this on eBay for $116 is it worth it?

Seller - Up for sale is my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard. It is in excellent working order. The motherboard comes with the following accessories:

-Original Backplate
-Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo and oem cooler
-Asus 8400GS Video Card
-8GB (4x2GB sticks) G.Skill PC2-6400 RAM
-Original Box and Manuals

Thank you,

Greggory

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:09:45 pm by Greggory Shaw »

OS4User

• View Profile
Does anyone remember the best 775 motherboard at that time? I plan on running the latest ArcaOS and Linux on it.

I used to  use   Asus P5B Deluxe   with  Q9650  and x850.  On board net and sound worked ok.

I am curiuous why do you need   such old mobo  and CPU ?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile

I used to  use   Asus P5B Deluxe   with  Q9650  and x850.  On board net and sound worked ok.

I am curiuous why do you need   such old mobo  and CPU ?

I already have an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650  :)

And I'm building two setups, one for OS/2 with the latest supported hardware @ that time (which are old and cheap) and top of the line over the next couple of months.

What is your setup with OS/2 if I may ask?

Greggory

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:36:02 pm by Greggory Shaw »

OS4User

• View Profile

Of course you may,  but pls tell  exactly what do want  to know.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile

Of course you may,  but pls tell  exactly what do want  to know.

1) I be using a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield Quad-Core processor with 8 GB of memory.

2) Is best to still use a X800 or X850 TX PE with SNAP accelerated. or a newer high-end card using the Panorama driver?

Thanks,

Greggory

OS4User

• View Profile

To my experience  X850  with SNAP   much faster  than any other add-on video card  with Panorama.

But video  integrated  into CPU (not just on-board chip) on Panorama - sometimes much faster than X850  with SNAP.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile

To my experience  X850  with SNAP   much faster  than any other add-on video card  with Panorama.

But video  integrated  into CPU (not just on-board chip) on Panorama - sometimes much faster than X850  with SNAP.

Thank you, I'm probably going to go with the above the video card alone cost over $100.

But I am definitely going to check out the Asus P5B Deluxe and some others with a X850 PE. And just use the Asus 8400GS Video Card on my other build til I get a high end card or see if the integrated GPU works.

CORRECTION - I probably can find it all new for that, but I want it now ;)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:33:06 am by Greggory Shaw »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
I stopped building my own computers. If you want to build your own, I can understand that.

A quick look at e-Bay found this system for under $100 including shipping, which will run rings around what you propose to build. Graphics are built into the CPU, so I would use Panorama.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324499818422?hash=item4b8db247b6%3Ag%3AxpYAAOSwliBgOU98&LH_BIN=1

I do not know this seller, nor anything about the system other than that I have been using used Lenovo computers for some time, and I like their excellent manuals.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
I stopped building my own computers. If you want to build your own, I can understand that.

A quick look at e-Bay found this system for under $100 including shipping, which will run rings around what you propose to build. Graphics are built into the CPU, so I would use Panorama.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324499818422?hash=item4b8db247b6%3Ag%3AxpYAAOSwliBgOU98&LH_BIN=1

I do not know this seller, nor anything about the system other than that I have been using used Lenovo computers for some time, and I like their excellent manuals.

Thanks Neil,

But I already have an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield.

And I like messing around with older stuff !

And my main system is going to be build on this and good price too !!!

ASUS PRIME Z590-P LGA 1200 Intel Z590 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119372?Item=N82E16813119372

--

LIAN LI LANCOOL II BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case -Black Color -LANCOOL II -X

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-2am-000z-00053

Cheers,

Greggory

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:52:48 am by Greggory Shaw »

OS4User

• View Profile

Be careful   with  new  mobo  -  most of them map little memory below the 4G border.
One more issue - missing BIOS or CSM mode  - OS/2 cannot boot at all.
Another issue - on-board net and sound are not supported in OS/2   and   no slots to insert add-on cards.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile

Be careful   with  new  mobo  -  most of them map little memory below the 4G border.
Another issue - on-board net and sound are not supported in OS/2   and   no slots to insert add-on cards.

With any luck ArcaOS 5.1 won't need BIOS or CSM mode. There's always USB sound, the network could be a problem.

ivan

• View Profile
Hi Greggory,

Other than wanting to use your old Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield CPU is there any compelling reason for using an Intel CPU for your new unit?

I gave up on Intel years ago in the days of the 486 processor and now use AMD units exclusively in any computer I build.  My latest unit is based on the MSI B550-A PRO board with an AMD Ryzen third gen processor with built in graphics which works very well with the latest ArcaOS.  Unless you insist on Intel processors I would recommend that you give AMD a try.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
I want to comment that the Lian Li cases were beautiful to have. I didn't find that they were better, but they were the best looking cases that I found when I was building systems.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile

With any luck ArcaOS 5.1 won't need BIOS or CSM mode. There's always USB sound, the network could be a problem.

I need the newer system for work with Win 10 :( that's why I'm building two. But, I will definitely report the results on both.

Thanks Everyone,

Greggory

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Hi Greggory,

Other than wanting to use your old Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield CPU is there any compelling reason for using an Intel CPU for your new unit?

I gave up on Intel years ago in the days of the 486 processor and now use AMD units exclusively in any computer I build.  My latest unit is based on the MSI B550-A PRO board with an AMD Ryzen third gen processor with built in graphics which works very well with the latest ArcaOS.  Unless you insist on Intel processors I would recommend that you give AMD a try.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for posting I was looking at - ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard

It's just that I never tried AMD before and always bought Intel. And I'm looking a the model one below ASUS PRIME Z590-P and about the same price as the AMD board.

So, I'll have to take another look now I was going to buy the latest of everything, but why I'm not a gamer ! So, settled on a Core i7 10700K then now coming to my senses I only really need an i5 processor.

One plus for the Intel board is that it supports 11th Generation Core family and I don't buy new computers very often, so I can upgrade for years.

This helped - User Benchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs Intel Core i7-10700K

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4070vs4084

So, after all the typing mainly I just wanted it now, Lol :)

Thx,

Greggory
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:53:16 pm by Greggory Shaw »