Author Topic: Install from USB  (Read 6674 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Install from USB
« on: May 11, 2020, 06:34:32 am »
Greetings All,

I tried remaking the Arca usb install stick again for a install (my dvd got scratched) I followed the instructions in making it, boot menu sees it, the boot starts I get past the logo screen then it halts and asks me to reboot as the iso can’t be found, I’ve verified it’s there named how it is looking for it etc, anyone else have trouble with this or is something known that I am missing?

As always thank you for any guidance

Regards,

Rick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Install from USB
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 06:41:43 am »
Hi Rick

Sometimes I got that error when I plug the stick on an USB 3.x port. Maybe you can check if you are putting it on a USB 2.x port.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 12:07:38 pm »
Hi Rick,

It might be easier to just burn another DVD depending on what equipment you are trying to install on (a scratch towards the outer edge of a DVD shouldn't stop it working since the track starts from the centre).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:01 pm »
Hi Rick

Which set of instructions did you follow?

I ask as I have tried DFSANOS2.EXE which resulted in a not recognised disk (usb flash drive) and aosboot.cmd which the aosboot.txt suggests "... this may take 10-30 minutes." but took about 3 hours.

The aosboot.cmd was successful and I could boot to the Maintenance Console (Graphical) so I would expect an install to work as well.

However, I do wish I had not bothered as the process seems to have screwed up my existing Airboot installation - I have opened another discussion about this https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2447.0.html

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:17 am »
Hi All

Just to correct myself:

The problem was not the ArcaOS5.0.4 flash drive but enabling boot support for that in the BIOS also enabled support for my internal card reader which got added to the boot list and caused Airboot to throw a wobbly probably due to all the empty usb drives involved.

Regards

Pete

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 07:15:02 am »
Thank you all for your responses. I’ll have a look at all suggestions.. kind of along the same lines can I install Arca on a external ssd? I ask because for some reason it doesn’t show up in manager during install and actually the internal one that I had Linux on didn’t show up either, could it be they are not setup correctly? I “cleaned” them both using windows diskpart, after clean should I initialize them as mbr or gpt for Arca or just leave them partitionless?

Regards,

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 08:20:13 am »
You should do all partitioning with OS/2 tools such as ArcaOS supplies. OS/2, including ArcaOS is picky about partitioning, partitions need to be on cylinder boundaries for example.
As for an external SSD, assuming it is USB, you can not install to it so will have to use your internal one.
BTW, GPT disks are not currently supported.

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 09:31:06 am »
As for an external SSD, assuming it is USB, you can not install to it so will have to use your internal one.
Is this still true? No way to install to usb only from usb?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:15 am »
Yes, OS/2 can't be installed on removable drives. (Even for the maintenance systems on installation media or for the eCS demo CDs, a RAM disk is created to make that work.)