Author Topic: Booting with NVMe  (Read 16465 times)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Booting with NVMe
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:17 pm »
Lewis' Wiki page is online.

The page for the NVMe driver is here.

See also this page for general driver addition and for saving Preboot menu settings.

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 11:35:10 pm »
For those playing around inside a VM, the easiest method (for me) was to just keep the .iso as-is, not bother with a virtual USB stick, and to just use the old method of a virtual floppy with just the NVME.* files and a blank BOOT_UPD.TXT.

That seemed to work just fine...

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 12:20:52 am »
I got the NVME drive on my AS Rock B-450 and installed the NVME, and using a USB drive installed Arca5.0.6 with the NVME.add in the Config.sys following the wiki directions.  If I boot from another SSD I can see the NVME boot drive and files, but when I try to boot it nothing happens.  The BIOS sees it, but I just get a "_"  flickering on the screen and nothing happens. 
Any suggestions welcome.  I'm wondering if it's a bios setting, but since it's listed on the device list I have no other ideas, so any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Matt

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 05:13:43 am »
I had the same flashing - at some point. I had to order the drives in BIOS so the NVMe drive was first. I had to install AirBoot on the NVMe drive. I had to make sure that the NVMe driver came before other disk drivers in Config.Sys. And I had to make sure that ACPI was not called with /VW.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 05:55:04 pm »
Hi Matt,

Although I don't have a NVMe on my MSI B550 (Ryzen third gen) I do have an M-2 SATA stick that I boot from and found out very early that I needed to set that M-2 slot as the first bootable drive in the bios.  If I didn't do that it would try and boot from any other drive on the system, all 5 plus the DVD, but never try the M-2 slot.

At some stage I will add an NVMe stick to the second M-2 on that board and see what happens - maybe use one as a fall back boot system.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »
Just wonderig. How do I add the NVME driver to my Arca OS 5.06 ISO? or is there another wayto get it to install to a fresh NVME drive?

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 06:47:07 am »
Adding it to the .ISO itself doesn't seem to work, as it seems to use ramdisk images on the ISO.  So you'd have to modify those and then reburn the ISO.

So the easiest solutions seem to be USB stick or floppy.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 10:17:35 pm »
Back to my original post, I got my NVME SSD installed and seen by Arca 5.  I did the install as directed in the 20 point wiki document and Arca installed the base files, and then when I rebooted to get the rest of the install, the NVME disk won't boot.  I get a message:
"2001: Boot sector read error" which is better than my first attempts, but still not great. 
I can see the NVME disk and read data off it and even formated a data partition and can use it, but just can't get it to boot. Any further suggestions welcome.
Matt W.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
Re: Booting with NVMe - Success
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 05:59:18 pm »
I had a failure to boot on AS Rock AB350M-HDV Motherboard with NVME.  Got help from David Azarewicz and realized it was a BIOS issue.  I then switched to an ASUS Prime B450M-A motherboard and it boots fine, so the problem was just the original MB.
Thanks to Arca and David  Azarewicz for their great work.
Matt W.