OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Well ArcaOS 5.0 is probably the last version for me.

<< < (12/13) > >>

Kékróka:

--- Quote from: Bill Sorenson on June 01, 2021, 08:06:37 am ---
The "easy way" of doing this (if there is such a thing) to me seems like if you could wedge a hypervisor under OS/2 (or inside of it as the case my be) so you could run multiple instances of it, as if it were on KVM of ESXi but have it be totally transparent (or mostly transparently) to the user so it is all managed by native ArcaOS / OS/2 tooling in the UI and it appears like you are running one OS (think of the way virtual DOS machines currently work in OS/2).

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with this approach especially as multicore machines cries out machine partitioning as well.
If legacy 32-bit OS/2 would settle in VMs as DOS now (VOM = Virtual OS/2 Machine), then such old apps can use that, and new environment can be 64-bit, so memory management can move on enabling using physical memory above 4.00 GB.

Storage capacity itself can be resolved with network drives. That way OS/2 users can use any kind of filesystems those for there are no installable filesystem solution actually - e.g. XFS, OpenZFS, etc.
     Also if you want RAID there, no problem if OS/2 does not support natively any raid device -- there you can have it underlying on the other machine. However I rather suggest LVM possibilities (on Linux) to add additional drive / copies of physical partitions when a new LV created for a filesystem. I got raid error on my home PC server once, and I could mirror / sripe on LVM layer more reliable than the risky raid stuff. In case RAID you really need a good, working backup/restore solution.
You don't need to use up many drive letters as you can mount them into directory as well. So the max. storage can be up above 48 GB that way.

Dave Yeo:
The problem is the business case. All I can do is guess at Arca Noae's business, and they're the ones with a license to resell OS/2. According to discussions here, there's only about 500 hobbyists, with not all having the money to spend but even 500 paying customers doesn't seem enough to support Arca Noae which leads to the assumption that they also have a fair number of enterprise customers. Any enterprise customers who can virtualize their environment likely already have, likely back in the eCS days without much need to upgrade. This leaves people/businesses that need real hardware which seems to be what Arca Noae is concentrating on.
There's lots of stuff that just can't be done in a virtual environment, a while back there was someone needed lots of com ports, which didn't work under a virtual machine for example.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on June 09, 2021, 05:37:03 pm ---The problem is the business case. All I can do is guess at Arca Noae's business, and they're the ones with a license to resell OS/2. According to discussions here, there's only about 500 hobbyists, with not all having the money to spend but even 500 paying customers doesn't seem enough to support Arca Noae which leads to the assumption that they also have a fair number of enterprise customers. Any enterprise customers who can virtualize their environment likely already have, likely back in the eCS days without much need to upgrade. This leaves people/businesses that need real hardware which seems to be what Arca Noae is concentrating on.
There's lots of stuff that just can't be done in a virtual environment, a while back there was someone needed lots of com ports, which didn't work under a virtual machine for example.

--- End quote ---

I never said that there are 500 users (if you are basing that number on my statement). I think we have a few thousand private users left in total.
I worked at Mensys until 2013 on eCS. I get the impression a lot of the private users sticked around. True users left but I get the impression more users are left based on time at Mensys. I can not imagen we are left with 500 private users.

Roderick

Roderick

Dave Yeo:
OK, thanks for clarifying the number of users. Be interesting to know Arca Noae's numbers, especially regular users though the number of enterprise users would also be interesting.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on June 10, 2021, 12:49:18 am ---
--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on June 09, 2021, 05:37:03 pm ---The problem is the business case. All I can do is guess at Arca Noae's business, and they're the ones with a license to resell OS/2. According to discussions here, there's only about 500 hobbyists, with not all having the money to spend but even 500 paying customers doesn't seem enough to support Arca Noae which leads to the assumption that they also have a fair number of enterprise customers. Any enterprise customers who can virtualize their environment likely already have, likely back in the eCS days without much need to upgrade. This leaves people/businesses that need real hardware which seems to be what Arca Noae is concentrating on.

--- End quote ---

I never said that there are 500 users (if you are basing that number on my statement). I think we have a few thousand private users left in total.
I worked at Mensys until 2013 on eCS. I get the impression a lot of the private users sticked around. True users left but I get the impression more users are left based on time at Mensys. I can not imagen we are left with 500 private users.

Roderick

--- End quote ---

Again I am looking for numbers to estimate how big our community roughly but it will always be a gamble to a large extend. It was not much different when I worked at Mensys that people want to buy OS/2/eCS after many years again.

The 500 users was based on the IP numbers from Netlabs. But how accurate that is ? But I never stated we have 500 private users left. Read the other postings for the rest of the details.

Roderick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version