Author Topic: Desktop Enhancement for WPS  (Read 11143 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Desktop Enhancement for WPS
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:12 pm »
If microsoft didn't write it, or if the files were not submitted to microsoft so they can charge to "inspect" them, they will probably be classified as a virus, by the microsoft, so called, anti virus checkers. They are getting a LOT more aggressive at doing things like that, even with well known, third party, windows software (Avast, AVG, CCleaner, and probably more). Even worse, is that microsoft software will prevent such software from being installed, and will often just kill it when the user attempts to start it, if it is already installed. At least we don't need to worry about that.

Somebody, with very deep pockets, needs to haul them off to court.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 01:09:19 am »
The weird thing is that generally our OS/2 files (excepting cmd) won't even load on modern Windows. I guess some DOS programs are LX and might load and be confused.
Anyways the odds of an OS/2 file having a virus is so close to zero that I wouldn't worry about it. So far the only virus I've had was one that infected the MBR that came on a floppy, a driver disk for some hardware I'd bought. WinOS2 actually spotted it and just had to rewrite the MBR. Strictly speaking it wasn't an OS/2 virus as it ran before an OS was installed.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 03:08:16 am »
Actually, a couple of years ago, I bought some WiFi capable "smart plugs", from Amazon. After a couple of days, i had a problem, where something, repeatably, crashed, while I was in Firefox. After I investigated, it was a program. called Hello.exe. Looking further, that is, apparently, one of those ransomeware things.  The, so called, smart plugs opened a path for the virus to be introduced into my computer. OS/2 just spit it out, with no damage. It did infect my router, but a reset to factory fixed that. Amazon did take them back, but nobody did anything else about it.

The "problem", today, is that perfectly valid software is classified as a "problem", simply because microsoft did not make a dollar, by "inspecting" the files.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 04:01:00 am »
Yea, OS/2 will try to invoke WinOS2 to run a PE executable, especially if you have installed Win32s. Usually fails due to 8.3 name issues in the path. I had an extension, downloadthemall or such that kept trying to run a Windows executable, all it did was fill up a log until I removed the executable.
This was one of the reasons that it was ill advised to install win32k.sys from Odin, it might have run hello.exe.
I also remember a browser flaw getting used to try to run C:\Windows\cmd.exe, which failed due to our browser having a bug and most people not having a C:\Windows\cmd.exe accessible. At that I've heard that most Windows malware can be defeated by not installing on C:
As for MS trying to monetize everything, it is a problem with our stock based system demanding endless growth instead of being happy with a good steady income.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 10:35:18 pm »
Hi

I'm still fighting to install Dialog Enhancer. I will appreciate any help to test it out.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.