OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

Arcamapper (SAMBA) loses connection

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Alex Taylor on May 28, 2021, 01:40:16 am ---...One thing that may be worth mentioning - I have EA Support turned off for all my shares on the NAS, precisely because ext* doesn't support them to the extent OS/2 assumes. If the EAs are indeed a problem, you might be better off turning them off when mounting the share, because most programs are capable of recognizing when EAs are unavailable and acting accordingly. OTOH, if they think EAs are supported and they aren't (adequately), then I could see some things running into problems...
--- End quote ---

The approach Alex described is precisely what I have been doing on my NAS box, that being ZyXel NSA325v2 for at least a couple of years now.

I have EA support shut-off in my NetDrive NAS share mappings, that has never caused me a problem with programs like PMView, etc. In fact, our entirl PHOTO library has been migrated to the NAS, and all of these photos, as well as videos are easily accessible.

I will say the following though:

1) PMView can be configured so that when you attempt to OPEN a folder on the NAS, PMView will not attempt to create icons which are then stored in the EA...still, on my system even if I had this setting enabled and my NAS does NOT support EAs, this has never been a problem

2) Lutz, I have a situation very similar to what you describe as far as the disconnect issue goes. My NAS is mapped right at boot time...stays connected, then eventually that connection dies. I have been attempting to troubleshoot and debug this pretty much since I deployed the NAS here. No luck so far. This has remained constant through multiple releases of the Samba client, etc.

In fact what I ended up doing is to write a REXX script which is scheduled to run every 15 mins to check whether the NAS folders are still accessible. If they are not, the NetDrive control program (NDCTL.EXE) is gracefully shut-down and re-started. Following this the NAS stuff is visible once again.

Since implementing this approach I have NOT had a situation yet where I found my NAS unreachable when I needed to use it.

Andreas Schnellbacher:
Dariusz, you've opened a thread here about your connection loss. Do you have tested if the issue persists with the files Alex has mentioned?

Paul Smedley:
Hey Alex,

--- Quote from: Alex Taylor on May 28, 2021, 01:40:16 am ---One thing that may be worth mentioning - I have EA Support turned off for all my shares on the NAS, precisely because ext* doesn't support them to the extent OS/2 assumes. If the EAs are indeed a problem, you might be better off turning them off when mounting the share, because most programs are capable of recognizing when EAs are unavailable and acting accordingly. OTOH, if they think EAs are supported and they aren't (adequately), then I could see some things running into problems.

--- End quote ---

Agree turning EA support off will likely fix the problem - but I'd also like to handle it more gracefully within ndpsmb if possible ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley:
Hi Dariusz,

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on May 28, 2021, 02:01:10 am ---2) Lutz, I have a situation very similar to what you describe as far as the disconnect issue goes. My NAS is mapped right at boot time...stays connected, then eventually that connection dies. I have been attempting to troubleshoot and debug this pretty much since I deployed the NAS here. No luck so far. This has remained constant through multiple releases of the Samba client, etc.

In fact what I ended up doing is to write a REXX script which is scheduled to run every 15 mins to check whether the NAS folders are still accessible. If they are not, the NetDrive control program (NDCTL.EXE) is gracefully shut-down and re-started. Following this the NAS stuff is visible once again.

Since implementing this approach I have NOT had a situation yet where I found my NAS unreachable when I needed to use it.

--- End quote ---

If you can capture debug logs (create a stub file x:\ndpsmb.dbg in the root of your boot drive) I'd like to try and fix this...

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Andreas,

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on May 28, 2021, 02:15:28 am ---Dariusz, you've opened a thread here about your connection loss. Do you have tested if the issue persists with the files Alex has mentioned?

--- End quote ---

Well, I do have:

1) 'samba-client.i686 - 4.11.12-0.oc00' installed here
2) NetDrive 3.1.6.876, which shows FileSystemDriver 3.028
3) Samba NetDrive plug-in
Vendor:          netlabs
Revision:        3.07.2
Date/Time:       18 Sep 2020 14:19:55

However, this is all running on an OS/2 Warp 4.52 SMP setup, so since it's not AOS I normally test what's being released on the AOS testers-list in terms of general usability, when requested to do so. I will report bugs only if the testing request seeks feedback in non-AOS installs as well.

In the case of Samba updates that has been the process, which is why I have been providing feedback through the list.

This is a bit of a fuzzy area because AN for the most part wants feedback that's specific to AOS installs, which I do not blame them for. That is the software stack they can control and when an issue is reported they can presumably replicate and troubleshoot appropriately. In fact there is a very stringent policy in place that says: do NOT report stuff if you are NOT running AOS.

Subsequently, other than troubleshooting here, or through some one-off email exchanges I have not logged official AOS bugs for this. I continue to test new releases, accept the risk, and if anyone that's not on the AOS path asks questions about this stuff I tend to provide my feedback.

So the short answer is: if the stuff Alex is testing with is core to AOS install and is NOT available as a RPM package, most likely I am NOT testing with these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version