Author Topic: OS/2 world and European privacy laws....  (Read 9989 times)

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
OS/2 world and European privacy laws....
« on: June 01, 2021, 11:02:04 pm »
I am not that concerned really about cookies. You can install software to block cookies.
What I did notice is that recently (unless I missed something) is that on OS2world I keep getting a lot of Google adwords.
I assume these adwords are there to generate some income ?

Best I know os2world is based in Sweden as a Swedish non profit organisation and there for should comply with EU law.

That brings us in the topic of cookies:
https://www.privacypolicies.com/blog/eu-cookie-law/
In other words, if you're in Europe and host a website that uses cookies, you are required to tell your visitors that you're using cookies, let them know what those cookies are being used for, and get their consent before you can place cookies on their device.

The website does not ask you if you want to install the cookies.
You also, best I can tell do not have a cookie policy.

It is not really my conern. But its required by EU/national laws.

The new OS/2 VOICE donation website https://donation.os2voice.org/ I also had to bite to work on this stuff...
It has a cookie policy and explains which cookies it installs and it privacy statement...

If you guys need help with this feel free to look at my donation website and copy away :-)
Or send me an email if you need help.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS/2 world and European privacy laws....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:11:26 am »
Hi Roderick.

Thanks for your concern. I will check on that.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:40:36 am »
I installed AD blocker on my Android phone. Otherwise, the site would become close to unusable.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:42:44 pm »
I'm relieved I'm not the only one. I did some asking on the Discord server when I noticed it happening with me - the current ad layout is definitely a pain. Like Lars has said, it's gotten to the point where you need an adblocker to even be able to properly read threads from a smartphone.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 02:09:49 pm »
I installed AD blocker on my Android phone. Otherwise, the site would become close to unusable.

Hi Martin,

Thx, for all the work that you do for the community but there must be a better plugin for cookies it's way to big and the ads are crazy to much do you have it on auto-ads ? And I already bought all my computer parts and Newegg & Best Buy has a very good way of tracking you. Every other ad that pops up has my a list of what I viewed while deciding on what I wanted to buy.

Lars, I started using Brave browser nightly with Protonmail's free VPN and it's great at blocking most everything on my phone !

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 02:16:37 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 02:58:34 pm »
Hi

Let's see if things improves, I disabled the auto-ads.

I would need to find another script for the cookie warning, since it was noticed by Roderick and required by the EU law.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 04:31:42 pm »

About a month ago, I started using this: https://alternate-dns.com/index.php. When used with the HOSTS file, from: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, I see very few ads. I set my router to use that site, and it blocks for my phone too. So far, it seems to be a good solution.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 09:49:26 pm »
Really, you need cookies to improve? What other bullshit can you tell us? No site never ever did improve by using cookies, never. Only false assumptions to sell illegal private property of your visitor. Well, I get really sick of this, so bye bye, have fun with your cooky shit.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 09:57:34 pm »
Hi Joop

Why are you so mad? Joomla uses cookies, Joomla is the script I use for OS2World for several years. Since the server is on the EU, by law, the site has to let the users know that we use cookies.  (I guess at least for European users).
- https://docs.joomla.org/Cookie_notification

I personally have no idea how to use the cookies, where are stored, or what information does it has, and I don't sell or have plans to do anything with your information. But if you want to leave the door is always open.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
Hi Joop

Why are you so mad? Joomla uses cookies, Joomla is the script I use for OS2World for several years. Since the server is on the EU, by law, the site has to let the users know that we use cookies.  (I guess at least for European users).
- https://docs.joomla.org/Cookie_notification

I personally have no idea how to use the cookies, where are stored, or what information does it has, and I don't sell or have plans to do anything with your information. But if you want to leave the door is always open.

Regards

Its clear Joop does not know what he is talking about.... Now if you visit a website with static HTML pages, different story.
But when your login sessions id's are almost always stored in cookie.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40931628/why-most-of-the-website-cannot-work-without-cookies

Maybe let Joop write a modern CMS such as Joomla without cookies and then lets see what your conclusion then is Joop ?

Roderick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 04:36:06 am »
Looking at about:data in SeaMonkey, the cookies all seem to be login related. Joop could always delete them and tell SeaMonkey to block them in the future if he'd rather login all the time.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 08:29:57 am »
Seems that Martin has successfully turned off this ad crap. I l no longer get ads, even with the plain Google browser.
Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:45:46 am by Lars »

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 03:44:40 pm »
The EU's cookie law was obviously written by a non-tech committee as it fixes nothing and made everyone unhappy ::)
The best implementation I've seen is a simple banner on the bottom of the page that times out automatically and simply informs the visitor this site uses cookies - deal with it