Author Topic: Replacing "Save as..." dialog (Experiment)  (Read 3486 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Replacing "Save as..." dialog (Experiment)
« on: June 02, 2021, 05:26:41 pm »
Hi

I kind of prefer the "Save as..." dialog from Qt, instead of the FOC that comes in ArcaOS. I have nothing against FOC.

Will it be a way to create an experimental "hack" to replace the call of the "Save as..." dialog to call the one from Qt? Just something very rough to experiment on a VM.
I will like to experiment the compatibility of the OS/2 applications if that get replaced.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing "Save as..." dialog (Experiment)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:27:10 pm »
I kind of prefer the "Save as..." dialog from Qt, instead of the FOC that comes in ArcaOS.
[...]
Will it be a way to create an experimental "hack" to replace the call of the "Save as..." dialog to call the one from Qt?

Martin, do you realize that this would require large parts of Qt to be loaded into every PM process? That's probably not a good idea.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Replacing "Save as..." dialog (Experiment)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 07:43:30 pm »
I kind of prefer the "Save as..." dialog from Qt, instead of the FOC that comes in ArcaOS.
[...]
Will it be a way to create an experimental "hack" to replace the call of the "Save as..." dialog to call the one from Qt?

Martin, do you realize that this would require large parts of Qt to be loaded into every PM process? That's probably not a good idea.
Hi Rick

I understand that this will produce an overhead compared to the native PM, but I would like to experiment if it will be too much overhead to render the system unusable, or it is going to be tolerable on modern hardware or a VM.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.